Learn how to draw a great looking Animal from the Muppet Show with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Animal from the Muppet Show.
"You don't mess with Animal. He eats glass, man."
- Frank Oz, puppeteer
Animal first appeared on The Muppet Show in 1975.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw Animal? This easy, step-by-step Muppet drawing guide is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Animal from the Muppet Show
How to Draw a Great Looking Animal from the Muppet Show for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing three circles. The central circle will form the nose, the upper circles the eyes. Shade a small circle in each of the eyes to form the pupils.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 2
2. Sketch in the top of Animal's face. First, use short lines that meet at points to enclose a flattened, rounded shape around the eyes. Then, use similar short lines to enclose a jagged, somewhat rectangular shape beneath the nose and the earlier shape. Draw a curved line below each eye.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Animal's mouth using three "U" shaped lines. Use hatching to shade the tongue. Draw rounded triangles of different sizes along the bottom of the mouth to form teeth. Shade the largest teeth with hatching.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the furry edges of Animal's head. Use curved lines of different lengths, and allow them to meet in jagged points. Add a furry texture by drawing similar lines on the top of the head and below the eyes.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw Animal's collar and chain. Draw rounded triangles to form the collar's spikes, and a curved line for the bottom of the collar. For each link of the chain, draw an oval within an oval. Where the links overlap, erase guide lines as necessary.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 6
6. Outline Animal's shirt using curved lines. Then, draw a pair of curved lines parallel to the opening of the sleeve, and another to the opening of the shirt. Use two long parallel lines to draw Animal's raised arm, and curved and "U" shaped lines to craft his hand. Extend parallel lines from each side of his hand, and enclose them at each end using short curved lines. This forms the drum stick.
Easy Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the opposite side of Animal's shirt. Again, draw a pair of curved lines parallel to the opening. Use a pair of curved lines to sketch the arm, and overlapping ovals for the fingers. Extend parallel lines from each side of the hand, enclosing one with a curved line and the other with a jagged line to indicate a broken drum stick. Draw the remaining portion of the drum stick at a perpendicular angle, and draw small "V" shaped lines to indicate the snap.
Add More Details to Your Animal from the Muppet Show Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a rectangular shape to form the torso. At the bottom of this shape, draw a series of "V" shaped lines. Then, use pairs of lines to fashion Animal's rope belt, banded with curved lines. Then, draw two descending lines, and enclose the figure with a series of curved "V" shaped lines. This indicates the torn skin of the drum from which Animal is emerging.
Complete the Outline of Your Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw two ovals around the base of the figure, forming the face of the drum. Draw two descending lines, then enclose the drum with a pair of curved lines. Decorate it with large "V" shaped lines and pairs of straight lines, capped on each end with short curved lines.
Color Your Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing
Color Animal. He is typically bright red or orange in color.
Then, head on over to our character drawing guides, where you'll find his friends Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and more.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Animal from the Muppet Show Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).