Learn how to draw a great looking Donkey Kong Pixel Art with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Donkey Kong Pixel Art.
Donkey Kong is one of the most famous video game characters of all time.
The cartoon gorilla first appeared in the 1981 "Donkey Kong" video game. Since then, Donkey Kong has appeared in countless cartoons, movies and video games.
Donkey Kong frequently appears with other popular cartoon and video game characters like Super Mario.
As a tribute to the original games, you can use this guide to draw a pixel version of Donkey Kong. This art style uses squares (or "pixels") and simple colors to create a digital character.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
As you draw your cartoon Donkey Kong, note that there are two types of lines: thick black lines that make up the pixels and thin lines that separate the colors on the body.
Start with a pencil, then use pens, markers, crayons or oil pastels to complete the drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Donkey Kong Pixel Art
How to Draw a Great Looking Donkey Kong Pixel Art for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with a wide rectangle at the top. On the left, add two squares that point downward in a diagonal line. Repeat this process with three squares on the right, then add two longer rectangles on the left.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 2
2. Fill in the boxes that you just drew with black. On the left, add an upside-down L-shape. Draw a square, add a rectangle underneath and draw another square at the end.
Draw a rectangle underneath the three squares that you drew in first step. Add another rectangle with an upside-down L-shape underneath.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to fill in the boxes from the previous step. Add a rectangle extending from the left, then draw four squares that point downward in a diagonal line.
For the right, make an L-shape followed by two squares to complete the head. Use two more rectangles for the mouth and a square for the nose.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch a long rectangle on the left, and add a pointing downward like a staircase. Draw two squares followed by a stretched-out L-shape.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 5
5. Make two rectangles pointing upward. Add two squares followed by a rectangle with two squares at the top, forming a Y-shape. Draw another square and rectangle to the right.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 6
6. For the right leg, start with two squares and a short rectangle. Make a longer vertical rectangle, and round it off with a horizontal rectangle.
Sketch two rectangles that form a T-shape. Draw another vertical rectangle, then add two squares to complete the leg.
Easy Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 7
7. Make a long vertical rectangle in the center of the body. Draw a short L-shape with a longer L-shape underneath. Complete the body with a square and another rectangle on the right.
Add More Details to Your Donkey Kong Pixel Art Picture - Step 8
8. Sketch two rectangles to add more detail to the eyes. Start with a square and rectangle on the left side of the body, then add two more squares and a zig-zag with the same rectangle shapes.
Complete the Outline of Your Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing - Step 9
9. Use thin lines to outline the eyes. Afterward, draw more thin lines across the body. This will help you separate the different colors.
Color Your Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing
10. Use black to fill in the squares and rectangles. Don't use a pen to outline the thin lines--you'll use these to color the body.
Now that you've completed your cartoon Donkey Kong, use dark brown to color the fur and tan for the rest of the body. Leave the eyes white. For the tie, use bright red and yellow.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Donkey Kong Pixel Art Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).