Learn how to draw a great looking Garfield with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Garfield.
Would you like to learn how to draw Garfield the cat? This cartoon character drawing guide is here to show you how!
Garfield Arbuckle is perhaps the most famous cat in the history of comic strips. He is the pet of Jon Arbuckle, a cartoonist, along with Jon's dog, Odie. He is very lazy; he loves to sleep and eat, especially if lasagna is on the menu. He also loves his teddy bear, Pooky.
Garfield first appeared in comics in 1978. In the decades since, he's remained a staple of newspaper comic pages.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
He has also starred in animated television series, live-action films, video games, books, and merchandise including stuffed animals.
Did you know? Garfield was born in an Italian restaurant, where he developed his love for lasagna. He was later sold at a pet shop to keep the restaurant from closing due to a lack of pasta!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Garfield
How to Draw a Great Looking Garfield for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing Garfield's face. Draw a small oval for the nose. On each side of the nose, extend a curved line that ends in a spiral. This forms the top of Garfield's mouth and his cheeks.
Then, use long curved lines to enclose two large, partial ovals above the nose. Draw a curved line across each eye to form the eyelids, and shade small ovals to indicate the pupils.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 2
2. Enclose the mouth using two curved lines, each extending from the nose to the cheeks. Texture the cheeks with dimples and whiskers - small "U" shaped lines at the corners of the mouth to form the dimples, and dots for the base of the whiskers. Then, outline the sides of the face using long curved lines.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Garfield's ears. Use overlapping curved lines to form the rounded triangle shapes. Then, detail the ears by drawing a curved line across each.
Shade three curved shapes at the base of each ear to indicate the tufts of fur. Contour the chin with a short curved line, and outline the round body.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to sketch Garfield's arm and hand. Notice the "L" shaped lines of the arm and the overlapping lines of palm and fingers.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 5
5. Contour the palm with two curved lines. Then, use a series of overlapping lines to begin sketching the remaining arm.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the hand by using two curved lines to draw the third finger and side of the hand. Then, extend two straight, parallel lines from the opening in the torso. This is Garfield's leg. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the top and bottom of the foot.
Easy Garfield Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the foot by using two overlapping curved lines to form the remaining toes. Then, begin the remaining foot and leg.
Use a curved line for the front of the leg and overlapping lines for the top of the foot and the first two toes.
Add More Details to Your Garfield Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the foot with a "C" shaped line for the final toe and a curved line for the bottom of the foot.
Draw the tail using a long curved line that doubles back upon itself. Texture the ears by shading narrow triangle shapes at the top of each.
Complete the Outline of Your Garfield Drawing - Step 9
9. Give Garfield his stripes. Shade sets of successively smaller curved shapes along the sides of the face, the back, and the top of the tail. At the tip of the tail, shade several narrow triangles.
Color Your Garfield Drawing
Color your cartoon of Garfield the cat. He is orange with black stripes.
For more great Cat drawing tutorials, see the 25 Best Cat Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Garfield Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).