Learn how to draw a great looking Rice and Chopsticks with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Rice and Chopsticks.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Are you hungry for some Chinese food? You can learn how to draw a bowl of rice with chopsticks! Use your drawing skills to create your own menu for homemade meals.
Where do people eat with chopsticks? These eating utensils are popular in East Asia and are used with Asian-style cuisine worldwide.
This includes lands such as Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. They originated in China 3 to 4 thousand years ago.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Chopsticks often appear in popular culture. In movies and shows, people are often shown having difficulty using chopsticks for the first time.
Anime characters like Goku have big appetites and use chopsticks to shovel food into their mouths!
Whether you're traveling abroad or visiting a local restaurant, here are some tips for eating with chopsticks:
- You can use chopsticks by balancing one between your thumb and middle finger the same way you do a pencil. Hold the second chopstick between your thumb and pointer finger. Flex your pointer finger to move the top chopstick, grasping food between the points.
- Did your mother ever tell you not to play with your food? Don't play with your chopsticks, either! This includes drumming on the table, pointing at someone, spearing pieces of food, or scratching an itch.
- Don't leave chopsticks standing up in a bowl or pass food from one person's chopsticks to another. These actions are related to funeral rites and are considered rude at mealtime.
- If taking something from a shared serving dish, use the "wrong" end of the chopsticks, not the end you put in your mouth.
- What do you do with the soup in your bowl? You can't pick that up with chopsticks. In Japan, noisy slurping is acceptable!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Spaghetti, Corn Dog, and Sushi.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Rice and Chopsticks
How to Draw a Great Looking Rice and Chopsticks for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by outlining the shape of the bowl. Enclose an irregular rounded shape.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line to enclose a round shape at the bottom of the bowl. This is the bowl's foot.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a large "C" shaped line across the top of the bowl, outlining its mouth or opening.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin outlining the rice in the mouth of the bowl. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to give the appearance of individual grains of rice.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin drawing one of the chopsticks. Draw two straight lines that are loosely parallel to one another; notice how they get closer together near the bowl. Connect them at the top with a curved line, and band the chopstick with another curved line.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a second chopstick. Again, use two straight lines that converge as they near the bowl. Connect them at the top and band the chopstick with a curved line.
Easy Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the rice grasped by the chopsticks. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to give the appearance of individual grains of rice.
Add More Details to Your Rice and Chopsticks Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more grains of rice in the bowl. Use curved lines to enclose small ovals or trace partial grains of rice.
Complete the Outline of Your Rice and Chopsticks Drawing - Step 9
9. Finish texturing the rice. Draw the individual grains using overlapping curved lines.
Color Your Rice and Chopsticks Drawing
Color your cartoon chopsticks and rice.
Once you've mastered rice and chopsticks, why not try your hand at other staples from Asian cuisine: sushi or a bowl of noodles.
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Cute Food Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rice and Chopsticks Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).