Learn how to draw a great looking The Cat in The Hat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect The Cat in The Hat.
"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun but you have to know how."
- The Cat in the Hat
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss was published in 1957. The title character from this tale of mayhem has since become one of the most recognizable of children's story characters in one of the all-time best-selling children's books.
The book was originally written as an alternative to the then-current children's primers - books from which kids were taught to read.
Dr. Seuss had been challenged to write a more interesting story to teach reading skills. He formed the story around the first two rhyming words in the vocabulary list - "cat" and "hat."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Cat in the Hat has since appeared in other books, animated and live-action movies, a television series, a theatrical production called Seussical, and merchandise.
He is also the mascot for the National Education Association's annual Read Across America Day.
Would you like to draw the Cat in the Hat? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial can show you how. All you will need is a pencil, pen, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing The Hat in The Hat
How to Draw a Great Looking The Cat in The Hat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using curved lines to sketch the cat's face. Use "C" shaped lines to draw the forehead and snout, nearly enclosing a rounded heart. Draw a small "S" shaped line to indicate the cheek at the corner of the mouth.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a pair of "U" shaped lines to enclose the open mouth and lower jaw. Then, draw a curved line within the mouth to indicate the tongue. Extend a curved line downward from the jaw to form the front of the neck.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a pair of curved lines to enclose a pointed ear. Detail the inside of the ear with a curved line. Then, use a series of short curved lines that meet in jagged points to indicate fur on the side of the face. Extend curved lines from the side of the mouth to form whiskers. Finally, extend a curved line downward to complete the neck.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 4
4. Enclose a narrow, rounded rectangle on top of the head, forming the brim of the hat. Outline the side and top of the hat with curved lines. Then, use a series of overlapping curved lines to complete the crumpled hat.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 5
5. Enclose a round shape at the base of the neck to form the knot of a bow tie. Then, use pairs of curved lines on each side of the knot to enclose the bow. Finally, draw a curved line that doubles back upon itself, enclosing an irregular shape beneath the bow tie.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long, curved line to sketch the arm and the end of the sleeve. Then, use another curved line to draw the hand. Allow it to double back upon itself many times, forming the fingers.
Easy The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the sides and arm using curved lines. Then, enclose the remaining hand, folded into the first.
Add More Details to Your The Cat in The Hat Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the Cat in the Hat's face. Draw two large ovals for the eyes. Within each, draw a small circle within a circle, and shade between them. Enclose a triangular shape for the nose, and shade it. Draw the whiskers and eyebrows using curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your The Cat in The Hat Drawing - Step 9
9. Use a hatching technique of closely spaced short lines to shade and texture the hat, face, and side of the figure.
Color Your The Cat in The Hat Drawing
Color the Cat in the Hat. He is typically gray to black in color with a red bowtie and a red striped hat.
For more great Cat drawing tutorials, see the 25 Best Cat Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
The Cat in The Hat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).