Learn how to draw a great looking Notre Dame Cathedral with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Notre Dame Cathedral.
Notre-Dame de Paris is a famous landmark. You can learn how to draw the Notre Dame Cathedral using this simple yet detailed architecture drawing tutorial.
The Notre Dame Cathedral is located in Paris, France. It was built on the ruins of a Roman temple dedicated to the god Jupiter. Construction began in 1163 and took several hundred years to complete.
The cathedral is famously featured in the 1831 novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which became a Disney cartoon in 1996.
Since this cathedral is hundreds of years old, it has suffered damage and needed repairs numerous times. In 2019, a fire caused major damage, and renovations are still underway.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to take your sketchbook on a tour of Paris? After completing the Notre Dame Cathedral outline, head on over to the Eiffel Tower.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Notre Dame Cathedral
How to Draw a Great Looking Notre Dame Cathedral for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Notre Dame Cathedral outline by drawing a large rectangle. Band the top with two horizontal lines. Then, draw four pairs of vertical lines across the bottom half. Use curved lines that meet at a gentle point to form arches between each set of lines.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another rectangle on top of the first. Extend pairs of lines in sync with the columns on the lower level. Allow them to extend beyond the rectangle. Connect each pair with a short line, and band the end to create a square. Draw horizontal rectangles between the columns. Finally, draw a small triangle on the lower portion of each column.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend a pair of vertical lines above each cartoon column, these being slightly more narrow. Draw two narrow trapezoids, each spanning two columns. Place a narrow rectangle on top of each trapezoid, followed by a small triangle. Then, within each of the lower arches, draw a smaller arch, each with two rectangular doors.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 4
4. Band the lower portion of the building with horizontal lines and "V" shaped lines above the outer arches. Draw small arches on the third and fifth sections. Band the fourth section with short vertical lines.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw three successively smaller circles in the center of the building. Connect the circles with straight lines. Draw curved "V" shaped lines across the adjacent sections. Below each "V," draw a circle and lines within a circle. Near the top of this section, draw six shapes, each consisting of three overlapping circles. Band the columns with horizontal lines.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 6
6. Decorate the next two levels with arches. Draw two sets of curved lines across each of the lower arches.
Easy Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a curved "M" shaped line across the top of each upper section. Then, enclose several narrow rectangles and a triangle along the outer wall on each side.
Add More Details to Your Notre Dame Cathedral Picture - Step 8
8. Enclose a narrow shape on each side of the towers. Between them, draw a narrow triangle and band it with horizontal lines. Draw a small circle at its top, followed by a cross.
Complete the Outline of Your Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your Notre Dame Cathedral outline by drawing a background. Draw the horizon line, a road leading to the building, trees in the distance, and clouds in the sky.
Color Your Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing
Color your cartoon of the Notre Dame Cathedral. It is light tan in color.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Notre Dame Cathedral Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).