Learn how to draw a great looking Poodle with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Poodle.
The poodle, also called a pudelhund or caniche, is a European dog breed. Developed as a water retriever, its characteristic grooming style was created to increase its efficiency in water.
Poodles are very intelligent and have been used as working dogs in diverse settings, from hunting truffles to performing in circuses.
The poodle has been bred in standard, miniature, and toy sizes.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Poodles also appear as animated characters. Examples include Georgette from Oliver & Company and Fifi from Open Season.
Poodle characters and their owners are often stereotyped as snobby, selfish, frivolous, and vain.
During the 1950s, "poodle skirts" were a popular fashion. These were circle skirts made of brightly colored wool felt. An applique or design of a poodle was attached near the bottom of the skirt, and a ribbon "leash" connected it to the waist.
These skirts were often paired with shoes called saddle oxfords. This style is still popular among "rockabilly" fans in Japan and elsewhere.
Would you like to draw a cute cartoon poodle? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dog drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
See also, Beginner's Guide to Drawing a Cartoon Dog.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Poodle
How to Draw a Great Looking Poodle for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using a series of curved lines to enclose an oval-shaped, cloudlike object. This forms the fluffy fur of the poodle's torso.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 2
2. Enclose a small curved rectangle at the top of the shape, erasing as necessary. This indicates the poodle's collar. Draw two overlapping curved lines to form the neck, lower jaw, and bottom portion of the snout. Enclose an irregular oval-shaped nose, and extend another curved line for the top of the snout. Draw a small oval to indicate the eye, with short curved lines for eyelashes.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a series of curved lines to create a fluffy "L" shape, enclosing the ear and the fur on the top of the head. Use a small circle and two curved lines to enclose a bow on the forehead.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a curved line to enclose an irregular shape to one side of the torso, completing the body. Below this, use curved lines to enclose another cloudlike shape. This indicates the fur of the legs and hips.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 5
5. Enclose the oval shape of the leg, erasing as necessary. At the bottom of the leg, use a series of curved lines to enclose the cloudlike shape of the fur around the ankle. Enclose the foot using a curved line, and distinguish the toes with short curved lines.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining rear leg. Use a curved line for the upper leg, and a series of curved lines for the fur around the ankle. Then enclose the shape of the foot and toes.
Easy Poodle Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the front leg. Extend two curved lines for the upper leg, followed by the cloudlike shape of fur. Extend a line and double it back upon itself to form the paw. Use short lines to differentiate the toes.
Add More Details to Your Poodle Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining foreleg. Again, extend two curved lines for the upper leg, followed by the cloudlike shape of fur. Extend a line and double it back upon itself to form the paw. Use short lines to differentiate the toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Poodle Drawing - Step 9
9. Extend two curved lines to form the tail. Connect them at the end with a round, cloudlike shape.
Color Your Poodle Drawing
Color your cartoon poodle. In reality, poodles typically have white, black, brown, or grey fur. In fiction or through the use of cosmetics, they may be pink or other colors.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Simple Dog Drawing Ideas post.
For more easy and cute animal drawing tutorials, see the collection of Simple Step-by-Step Furry Animals Drawing Tutorials for Beginners.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Fun Art Projects for Kids: Learn How to Draw Pooches page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Poodle Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).