Learn how to draw a great looking Toothless with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Toothless.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Huh, toothless. I could have sworn you had... teeth."
- Hiccup, How to Train Your Dragon
Toothless, along with his human companion Hiccup, is the hero of the island of Berk. Toothless's species, the Night Fury, was nearly hunted to extinction by the Vikings.
With each other's help, Hiccup and Toothless help the people of Berk to find peace with the dragons. Toothless's destiny is to become the Alpha, the leader of the dragons.
Did you know? The How to Train Your Dragon films and cartoon series are based on a middle-grade chapter book by the same name.
The stories are much different, however. In the books, Toothless isn't a Night Fury, but a small Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus originally believed to be a common garden dragon. He is small enough to perch on Hiccup's arm.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to help a Viking out. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon Dragon, Chinese Dragon, and Charizard.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Toothless from How to Train your Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Toothless for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the top of Toothless's head. Use pairs of curved lines that meet in a point to form his ears. Then, use a series of curved lines to connect the ears. Note the "U" shaped line, that, along with the other lines, forms the horns.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 2
2. Enclose Toothless's head. Use short lines that meet in points to draw spikes on the side of his face. Then, use a long, curved line to enclose his round face.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail Toothless's face. Use short lines to enclose curved triangles on the side of the face. Then, enclose large, irregular teardrop shapes to indicate the eyes. Use short, thick lines to draw the nostrils.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin to sketch the dragon's back and wings. First, use a long, curved line to draw the top of the wing. Then, use shorter curved lines that meet at gentle points to form the wing's jagged lower edge. Detail the wing with curved lines parallel to the top. Then, use a curved line to connect the head to the top of the wing, outlining the dragon's back.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw triangular spikes along Toothless's back, erasing guide lines as necessary.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw Toothless's remaining wing. Use long, curved lines that meet at sharp points.
Easy Toothless Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the dragon's belly and legs. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to sketch the rear leg and foot. Enclose the foot with "U" shaped lines to indicate the toes. Draw a triangular claw at the end of each toe, erasing guide lines as necessary. Then, sketch the front leg in a similar fashion. Connect the legs using a curved line, outlining the belly. Finally, add scaly details by drawing short, curved lines on the knee.
Add More Details to Your Toothless Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to draw the remaining feet. Draw triangular claws on the front foot, erasing guide lines as necessary.
Complete the Outline of Your Toothless Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail your dragon. Extend a pair of long, curved lines from beneath the wing. Allow them to meet at a sharp point, forming the tail. Use curved lines to draw the winglets of the tail, erasing guide lines as necessary. Detail the wing and forehead with lines. Form the pupils of the eyes by drawing an oval within an oval in each.
Color Your Toothless Drawing
Color your dragon. Toothless is black in color with yellow eyes. His mate, the Light Fury, is white or cream colored.
Wondering how to train your dragon? We'll show you how to draw your dragon! Check out our animal drawing guides for more fantasy creatures.
For more great Dragon drawing tutorials, see the 50 Best Dragon Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Toothless Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).