Learn how to draw a great looking Baby Deer with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Baby Deer.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Deer are found throughout the world. Forty-three species are native to every continent except for Australia and Antarctica.
Did you know? Different titles are given to each member of a "family" of deer. The baby is known as a fawn, the mother a doe, and the father a stag or buck. A group of deer is called a herd.
Spots, such as those of the deer in this tutorial, are often seen as a mark of youth - a coat pattern of fawns or baby deer. There are many species, though, that carry this coloration throughout life.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Deer have long been featured in art, including that of landscape painters such as Thomas Kincade. Some of the earliest human art - cave paintings - pictured deer. Today, they are often characters in animated films.
The most famous fawn is no doubt Bambi, of the 1942 Disney film by the same name. Others include Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, Bullwinkle, and Sven from Frozen.
Would you like to draw an adorable baby deer? Now you can, thanks to this easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial.
You will need only a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to have brown crayons or colored pencils handy to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon Reindeer, Arctic Fox, and Husky.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Baby Deer
How to Draw a Great Looking Baby Deer for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the deer's head.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line to enclose a rounded, irregular shape on one side of the circle. This will form the deer's nose, or snout. Then, use a second curved line to enclose the lower portion of the mouth.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide lines from the snout. Use a curved line to enclose the irregular shape of the nose. Draw a small oval at the top of the nose to indicate a shine. Then, use a long, curved line to outline each ear on top of the head.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase guide lines from the ears.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 5
5. Detail the face. For each eye, draw a large circle. At the bottom of the circle, draw a rounded, "W" shaped line, and at the top, an oval. Shade between these to indicate the pupil. Use a pair of curved lines, meeting in a point, to form the corner of the eye, giving it a teardrop shape. Then, use a curved line to contour the brow bone above each eye, erasing guide lines as necessary. Enclose a curved shape, pointed at each end, above the eye to indicate the eyebrow. Finally, enclose a rounded shape in each ear, following the contours of the outer ear.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the deer's body using a series of curved lines. Use a pair of lines for the neck, and beneath it sketch the roughly peanut-shaped body.
Easy Baby Deer Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the legs, erasing guide lines as necessary. Use a series of curved lines to sketch each leg. Note the bulges at the knee and ankle, and the bend of the far leg. For the hooves, enclose an irregular shape, cleft or indented at the front.
Add More Details to Your Baby Deer Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rear legs, erasing guide lines as necessary. Again, use pairs of curved lines, bulging at the joints. Enclose the irregularly shaped hooves, complete with the "V" shaped cleft.
Complete the Outline of Your Baby Deer Drawing - Step 9
9. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to sketch the deer's tail. Draw a curved line down the neck and side to indicate the color of the underbelly. Finally, draw ovals of different sizes across the deer's back to indicate the spots.
Color Your Baby Deer Drawing
Color your deer. Most deer come in shades of brown. Some have white or black markings.
You can complete your herd with our adult deer drawing guide.
For more great Cute cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Step-by-Step Cute cartoons Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Baby Deer Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).