Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Hawk with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cartoon Hawk.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Hawks are hunters, birds of prey known as raptors. Hawks of various sizes are found all over the world.
Falconry, also called hawking, has been a popular sport for centuries. Falconry involves training a hawk to hunt prey on command. Since this was a sport of royalty, falcons were often seen in artwork.
One such example is that of the book De Arte Verandi cum Avibus, or On the Art of Hunting with Birds, written in the 1200s and featuring many illustrations.
Today, hawks appear in such art forms as sports team mascots and cartoon characters. Included among these are DC Comic's Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and Looney Tunes' Henery Hawk.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon hawk? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple drawing guide. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and perhaps a good art eraser. You may also wish to employ crayons, colored pencils, paints or markers to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Peacock, Hummingbird, and Penguin.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Hawk
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Hawk for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by outlining the hawk's head. Do this using one long and one short overlapping, curved line. The overlap will form the bird's brow.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the bird's beak. You will use a series of curved lines. Allow the lines to come to a point at each tip of the beak. Enclose the inner portion of the beak using another curved line.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the feathers at the base of the bird's neck. Do this using a series of short, curved lines that meet in jagged points.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the bird's wing. Use a long curved line for one side of the wing; for the opposite side, draw a series of shorter, overlapping curved lines to indicate the flight feathers.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 5
5. Next, you will outline the hawk's stomach, tail, and far wing. Use a long, curved line for the chest, and another for the belly. Use several curved lines that double back on themselves to form the tail feathers. use another curved line to enclose the far wing.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the near wing.
Easy Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 7
7. Enclose the legs. For each leg, use a series of short curved lines, indicating the feathers at the bottom of the leg. Then, draw the feet. Use a long, curved line to draw each toe, allowing the line to double back on itself. Enclose three toes on each foot - two facing forwards and two facing backwards.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Hawk Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a talon, or claw, on the end of each toe. For each talon, use two curved lines to enclose an irregular, slanted triangle. Detail the toes by banding them with short, curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Hawk Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your hawk by drawing the eyes and tongue. For each eye, you will draw three circular shapes - a very small circle within a small oval within a larger oval. This forms the eye itself, the pupil, and the gleam in the hawk's eye. Draw a curved, loosely "S" shaped line, above the eye. End the line with another short, curved line. Draw a small oval on the beak to indicate the nostril. Draw a curved line through the open mouth to distinguish the inside of the mouth. Then, use a curved line to enclose the irregular shape of the tongue. Finally, draw a short, curved line to detail the center of the tongue.
Color Your Cartoon Hawk Drawing
10. Color your cartoon hawk. Most hawks, eagles, and other raptors come in shades of brown, cream, red, and orange. Don't forget to check out our other fun avian drawing guides, including the peacock, a hummingbird, and a penguin.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Best Bird Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Hawk Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).