Learn how to draw a great looking Christmas Pudding with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Christmas Pudding.
"Good tidings we bring to you and your kin. We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Now bring us some figgy pudding, now bring us some figgy pudding, now bring us some figgy pudding, and a cup of good cheer.
We won't go until we get some, we won't go until we get some, we won't go until we get some, so bring it right here."
- "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," traditional Christmas song
Christmas pudding, also called plum pudding or figgy pudding, is a traditional holiday desert, especially in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The term "plum" was used loosely to describe any dried fruit.
The rich dish is typically made of fruit, animal fat, flour, and sugar, boiled in a bag. It is soaked in alcohol and allowed to mature for days, weeks, or sometimes up to a year before being served on the holiday table.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Christmas pudding actually has roots in medieval sausages, not sweets. Hundreds of years ago, meat, grains, fat, spices, and fruits were all packed together in sausage casings to help preserve the food as long as possible.
By the end of the 1500s, however, dried fruits became more plentiful and such "puddings" or "pottage" became sweeter. The sausage casing was also replaced with a floured cloth.
Another interesting point in the history of plum pudding occurred in 1647, when Oliver Cromwell came to power in England. Plum pudding was banned, along with other Christmas traditions including yule logs, Christmas carols, and nativity scenes.
Why? "To Cromwell and his Puritan associates, such merry-making smacked of Druidic paganism" and idolatrous traditions.
Would you like to draw a tasty Christmas pudding? This easy, step-by-step cartoon food drawing tutorial can show you how.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Christmas Pudding
How to Draw a Great Looking Christmas Pudding for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long, curved line like a toppled "C." This will form the bottom of the gumdrop-shaped pudding.
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long curved line over the top of the first. The lines should connect on both ends, forming a rounded triangular shape.
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long wavy line across the front of the pudding. This represents the dripping icing, brandy, or butter sauce poured on top of the pudding.
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the previous top of the pudding above the wavy line. Replace it with another curved line, evening up the mound of icing.
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw three holly berries on top of the pudding. Use a curved line to enclose each round shape. Placing holly on top became a tradition during the Victorian era; another tradition involved dousing the pudding with alcohol and setting it on fire!
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 6
6. Next, draw the first of the holly leaves. Use a series of curved lines that meet at points to outline the prickly leaf. Then, draw a curved line down the center to indicate the central leaf vein.
Easy Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a second holly leaf. Again, use a series of curved lines that meet at points to outline the prickly leaf. Then, draw a curved line down the center to indicate the central leaf vein.
Add More Details to Your Christmas Pudding Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a third holly leaf. Use a series of curved lines that meet at points to outline the prickly leaf. Then, draw a curved line down the center to indicate the central leaf vein. Erase overlapping lines as necessary.
Complete the Outline of Your Christmas Pudding Drawing - Step 9
9. Texture the side of the pudding with curved "C" shaped lines and small ovals. These indicate the raisins and other fruits found within the pudding.
Color Your Christmas Pudding Drawing
Color your cartoon pudding. Christmas puddings are often dark brown or black due to the rich ingredients.
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Food Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Christmas Pudding Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).