Learn how to draw a great looking Dachshund with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Dachshund drawing.
In German, dachshund means "badger dog." It traces its ancestry to hounds and terriers used to pursue badgers into their burrows. This iconic dog is famous for its short legs and elongated body. Dachshunds were developed in two sizes, standard and miniature, and stand up to 10 inches (25 centimeters) tall. They may have long or short fur classed as smooth, longhaired, and wirehaired.
Dachshunds are sometimes called wiener dogs or sausage dogs because their shape is reminiscent of the edible Frankfurter or hotdog. Sometimes, they are even dressed in bun-shaped costumes.
Dachshunds have been included in artwork since the breed was developed in the 1700s. Political cartoonists used it to symbolize the nation of Germany, particularly during the World Wars. A colorful cartoon dachshund named Waldi was the mascot for the 1972 Summer Olympics held in Munich, Germany.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In modern popular culture, a dachshund named Crusoe gained social media fame, and many virtual dog owners experienced this breed for the first time in the video game Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends. Buster the dachshund made appearances in Disney's Toy Story franchise, and Itchy co-starred in the animated film All Dogs Go to Heaven. Jorge the dachshund from the animated series Clifford's Puppy Days and Weenie from Oswald are other examples.
Would you like to draw a cartoon dachshund? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dog drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dachshund
How to Draw a Great Looking Dachshund for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the dachshund's head. Use an "S" shaped line to outline the brow and top of the nose. Use a curved line to enclose the shape of the eye, with additional curved lines indicating the eyelashes and eyelid. Enclose two successively smaller circles within the eye, and shade between them to indicate the pupil.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to enclose the round shape of the remaining eye. Enclose a circle within a circle and shade between them to indicate the pupil. Draw a curved line above the eye to form the eyelid. Then, enclose an oblong shape above each eye to serve as the eyelids.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw an upside-down triangle with rounded corners to form the dog's nose. Then, use overlapping curved lines to draw the mouth and lower jaw. Draw a short curved line at the corner of the smiling mouth.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long, curved lines, doubled back upon themselves, to draw the dog's ears.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 5
5. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the dachshund's shoulder, back, and hips. Then, use two curved lines that meet at a gentle point to draw the wagging tail.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long curved line to draw the neck and chest. Then, use overlapping curved lines to form the sides of the leg and the toes. Draw a short curved line to continue the dog's belly.
Easy Dachshund Drawing - Step 7
7. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the upper leg, paw, and toes of the remaining foreleg. Note the short curved line that contours the bend of the ankle. Then, extend a long curved line to continue the dog's belly.
Add More Details to Your Dachshund Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rear leg. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the upper leg, paw, and toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Dachshund Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining leg and paw using overlapping curved lines.
Color Your Dachshund Drawing
Color your cartoon dachshund. The most common colorations are reddish-brown or black with tan markings. Other colors are seen occasionally, such as white with black spots.
We let the dogs out! Check out all our canine drawing guides.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Dog Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Dachshund Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).