Learn how to draw a great looking Horse Head Outline with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Horse Head Outline.
Would you like to learn how to draw a horse head outline? You can master drawing a horse face outline with the help of this equine portrait drawing tutorial.
Do you love horses? Many people do. Even great and famous people have loved horses.
For example, Alexander the Great's horse Bucephalus is "one of the most famous horses in world history," though he lived over 2,000 years ago.
It is said that Bucephalus was too wild for anyone to tame until young Alexander noticed that he was afraid of his own shadow.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Warhorses like Bucephalus have been lauded for their courage and wisdom. For example, consider the poetry of Job 39:19-25, King James Version, which describes a warhorse in battle:
“Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder? Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils is terrible.
He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men. He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword.
The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield. He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet.
He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.”
It is no wonder that horse heads like the one in this tutorial were common in medieval heraldry and remain so today. Make your mark on the world with this simple horse face outline.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Horse Head Outline
How to Draw a Great Looking Horse Head Outline for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin drawing the horse head outline in profile by drawing a curved line for the front of the face.
Then, draw the eye. Sketch two curved lines, and shade an oval between them. Contour above and below the eye with short lines.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line for the front of the nose, and another for the upper lip. Draw a spiral shape to indicate the nostril Beside it, contour the horse's face with an "L" shaped line.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long curved line for the lower lip. Overlap it with a "C" shaped line to form the jaw. Contour between the nose and eye with a short curved line.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin sketching the mane. Use curved lines of different lengths that meet at points.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 5
5. Dra the ears. For each ear, extend a pair of curved lines upward and let them meet at points. Contour the inside of the nearest ear with a curved line.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a curved line downward to form the front of the neck. Use overlapping curved lines, only two of which meet at a point, to outline the horse's mane.
Technically, you could stop here. But the following steps will add glory to your warhorse.
Easy Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw curved lines down from the mane to contour the shoulder. Continue drawing the mane, using curved lines that meet at points. Examine the three-dimensional aspect afforded by the overlapping lines.
Add More Details to Your Horse Head Outline Picture - Step 8
8. Continue drawing the mane, using curved lines that meet at points. Extend more lines from one point, allowing them to meet at yet another point.
Complete the Outline of Your Horse Head Outline Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the horse face outline by enclosing the mane with one more curved line. Add texture with additional curved lines.
Color Your Horse Head Outline Drawing
Color your horse head outline.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Horse Head Outline Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).