Learn how to draw a great looking Pilgrim with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Pilgrim drawing.
Pilgrim is the Latin word for "traveler." It often describes someone who journeys far for religious reasons. This is called making a pilgrimage. In the United States, it is most often applied to the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony.
You can learn how to draw a Pilgrim with the help of this cartoon drawing guide. Whether you're studying history or decorating for Thanksgiving, we've got the tutorial for you.
The American Pilgrims traveled far for their religion, just as their name would suggest. They were English settlers or Puritans who fled religious persecution in England. They traveled on a ship called the Mayflower.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Many myths surround the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving. What they ate and their view of Native Americans are examples of this - we don't know if they had turkey, and they later fought with native tribes. Even the clothes they wear come from later ideas of "old-timeyness" or "quaintness."
Still, the brown-clad Pilgrim is a herald of the fall season in North America. Learn to draw one below.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Pilgrim
How to Draw a Great Looking Pilgrim for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the pilgrim's hand. Use straight and curved lines to outline the quadrilateral crown and long curved lines for the brim.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 2
2. The pilgrim's hat is a hat with a buckle. Draw a curved line across the crown to form the hatband. Then, draw a rounded rectangle within a rectangle on top of the band, forming the buckle.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch the man's hair and ear. Use a series of "U" shaped lines of different sizes to form the hair. Draw a "C" shaped line for the ear, and detail the inside of it with a curved line.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 4
4. Enclose the face using a long curved line. Then, use another curved line to form the nose.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 5
5. Detail the pilgrim's face. For each eye, draw a "C" shaped line with a small circle for the pupil. Use curved lines to indicate the eyebrows, mouth, and cheek.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 6
6. Next, you'll sketch the pilgrim's characteristic attire. Draw a "U" shaped line at the neck. Then, draw the triangular collars of the garment on each side of it. Then, draw a long curved line to form the torso. Below this, enclose three curved rectangle shapes, one within another. This forms the belt and belt buckle.
Easy Pilgrim Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the man's arms. For each arm, extend two curved lines. Draw a curved trapezoid at the end of each arm to enclose the sleeve and form the cuff. Draw a small button, a circle, on each cuff. Then, use a series of overlapping curved lines to enclose the hands.
Add More Details to Your Pilgrim Picture - Step 8
8. Draw two curved rectangles below the belt, forming the tails of the shirt. Below this, enclose two irregular rounded shapes. These are the tops of the man's pants.
Complete the Outline of Your Pilgrim Drawing - Step 9
9. Extend two lines beneath each pant leg to form the lower leg. Then, use a curved line to enclose the irregular triangular shape of the shoes. Double a curved line back upon itself at the top of each shoe.
Color Your Pilgrim Drawing
Color your cartoon Pilgrim. In most artwork, Pilgrims are depicted in dark, plain clothing, black or brown in color. While this was often true of the poor, wealthy Pilgrims actually wore bright colors!
For more great Thanksgiving and Fall drawing tutorials, see the 27 Step-by-Step Thanksgiving and Fall Drawing Guides post.
Pilgrim Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).