Learn how to draw a great looking Plesiosaurus with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Plesiosaurus.
Would you like to learn how to draw a plesiosaurus, a long-necked, seafaring dinosaur? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing guide can show you how.
Plesiosaurus had a long, snake-like neck, a long tail, and a body like a whale. Instead of two flippers like most modern ocean animals, the plesiosaur had four.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The plesiosaur was just one huge predator of the ancient seas. You can learn how to draw a megalodon shark, another prehistoric sea monster.
Other long-necked dinosaurs lived on land. Check out this cute dinosaur drawing for one example.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Plesiosaurus
How to Draw a Great Looking Plesiosaurus for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the plesiosaurus outline by sketching its face. Use overlapping curved lines for the eye ridges and snout. Draw an oval within an oval to form the eye. Shade the smaller oval to indicate the pupil
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved “V” shaped line to sketch the open mouth. Use a curved line to complete the lower jaw, and another to connect the upper and lower jaws at the corner.
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose the inside of the upper jaw with a curved line, then use another for the tongue below it. Draw a series of small, triangular teeth along the upper jaw.
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw triangle-shaped teeth along the lower jaw. Then use short lines to draw and contour the base of the head. Extend a long curved line to begin the snakelike neck.
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend another long curved line from the head, roughly parallel to the first. Extend more long, curved lines from the base of the neck on each side, outlining the body.
Then, use two curved lines that meet at a point to draw the large flipper.
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a curved line beyond the flipper, then use another pair of lines to create the rear flipper. Extend curved lines from the back and the flipper, allowing them to meet at a point, forming the tail.
Easy Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining front flipper, extending two curved lines from the body and allowing them to meet at a gentle point. Contour the neck and belly with curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Plesiosaurus Picture - Step 8
8. Contour the base of the near flippers with curved lines. Then, draw the top of the water - a horizon line - and “U” shaped splashes of water around the animal’s neck.
Complete the Outline of Your Plesiosaurus Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to continue drawing the ocean waves.
Color Your Plesiosaurus Drawing
Your plesiosaurus outline is now complete. Color your cartoon dinosaur. We’ve shaded ours with dark gray on top and light gray on the bottom, just like many modern sharks and whales.
For more great reptile drawing tutorials, see the collection of Beginner Reptile Drawing Tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Plesiosaurus Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).