Learn how to draw a great looking Realistic Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Realistic Face.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Realism is an art style that aims to make the drawing as close to life as possible. Learn how to draw a realistic face so you can study realism at home.
Learning realism helps you draw anything, including cartoons. A cartoon face sketch still needs the right anatomy and proportions to look "real."
Many great artists study realism before they start drawing cartoons.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Some of the world's most famous artists, including Mary Cassatt and Rosa Bonheur, painted in realism.
They studied light, colors, angles and shadows to make pieces that almost look like photos. Even if it looks daunting at first, drawing is a technical skill that anyone can learn.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Scared Face, Abstract Face, and Thinking Face.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Realistic Face
How to Draw a Great Looking Realistic Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Use a ruler to mark two halves of an inch on the right side of the page. This will help you get a better understanding of the human face's facial proportions. Sketch a circle that's a little over half an inch, then draw a loop underneath it.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Sketch another set of lines underneath the face. Using the chart on the right, draw two eyes at the midway point. Start with two lemon shapes, then draw circles inside these shapes and fill in the pupils.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Add a few lines around the eyes for realism like you're drawing a woman's face. Make a curved vertical line, then sketch a horizontal curve with curls on each end. Draw a loop on either side.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a ruler on the left with three thirds of an inch. Sketch wavy lines on top of the head like the edge of a cloud.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Make a loose M-shape underneath the nose with a similar, flatter line underneath. Above each eye, draw narrow cylinders that end in downward points.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Outline two loops around the midway points for ears, similar to the ears on a cartoon face. Complete the mouth with a curve.
Easy Realistic Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw curves and hook shapes inside the ears to give them depth. Sketch more wavy lines around the hairline.
Add More Details to Your Realistic Face Picture - Step 8
8. Add more curvy and sketchy lines around the top of your realistic face.
Complete the Outline of Your Realistic Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch two lines for the neck, then draw more wavy lines to complete the head. Have fun making the lines loose and uneven.
Color Your Realistic Face Drawing
To complete your realistic face, outline the drawing in black. Erase the rulers and the extra pencil lines before you color your outline.
Color your realistic face with your favorite eye color, hair color and skin tone. You can make the human face drawing resemble someone you know or your favorite fictional character.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Realistic Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).