Learn how to draw a great looking Shadow with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Shadow.
"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed."
- "My Shadow," poem by Robert Louis Stevenson
Would you like to learn how to draw a shadow of a person? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial can show you how.
What is a shadow? It is a dark area caused by a solid object blocking light rays. Shadows can be fun when used like puppets!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Shadows are often used metaphorically. In our drawing guide, for example, the little boy wants to be like Superman, so his shadow resembles this dream.
Another well-known example of this occurs in promotional artwork for Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace, in which young Anakin Skywalker's shadow is shaped like Darth Vader, the villain he will someday become.
Would you like to draw your very own shadow of a boy? Now you can, by following this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil and a piece of paper. You may want an eraser for any mistakes you make in the process, and coloring pencils, crayons, markers, or paints to really bring out your picture's detail and shaded parts.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Shadow
How to Draw a Great Looking Shadow for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the boy's head. Use curved lines to outline the hair, ear, chin, cheeks, and temples. Notice how the lines of the hair overlap just above the forehead.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the face. Use curved lines to outline the eyes and draw the eyebrows, nose, mouth, and inner ear. Shade a circle within each eye to indicate the pupils.
Then, use short lines to enclose the neck. Extend a long curved line from the neck - this will become the boy's cape.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to outline the "T" shape of the boy's t-shirt and to begin outlining his arm.
Enclose small inverted triangles beneath the neck where the cape is tied, and use overlapping curved lines to complete the cape.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to complete the arms and hands, and to enclose the bottom of the t-shirt. Begin drawing the boy's shorts by enclosing a partial rectangle.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to enclose the irregular shapes of the boy's legs and shoes. Use short curved lines to texture the fabric of the shorts and shirt.
Then, draw a straight, horizontal line behind the boy. This is the horizon line - or, in other words, the ground.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 6
6. Begin to outline the head of the shadow. Use a series of connected curved lines. Notice the curl at the front of the forehead. This is a classic characteristic of Superman when he assumes his superhero persona.
Easy Shadow Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a series of curved lines to outline the shadow's arm and shoulder. Then, draw an inverted, curved triangle within the shape. This indicates the bottom of the arm and the side of the torso.
Add More Details to Your Shadow Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a long curved line from the base of the shadow's neck to form the top of the cape. Below that, draw an inverted, curved triangle and a partial triangle shape like an ocean wave.
These outline the bottom of the arm and side of the torso, and the outer side of the arm and bottom of the cape, respectively.
Complete the Outline of Your Shadow Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a series of short curved lines below the arm of the shadow on each side. These are the fists folded against the hips. From there, draw straight lines down to the horizon line to outline the legs.
Enclose a small triangle at the horizon line to indicate the inner sides of the legs. Next, draw straight lines from the bottom of the shadow to the boy's feet. You drawing of a person's shadow is now ready.
Color Your Shadow Drawing
Color your cartoon of a boy superhero and his shadow drawing. You can even add the Superman logo to the boy's shirt!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Shadow Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).