Learn how to draw a great looking Shih Tzu with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Shih Tzu.
"Being Cute is a way of life for this lively charmer." - American Kennel Club description of the Shih Tzu
What breed of dog is your favorite? You can adopt an adorable pup when you learn how to draw a Shih Tzu with the help of this cartoon dog drawing tutorial.
Shih Tzus are small dogs of the toy class, weighing no more than 16 pounds. They are known for their long, flowing fur and playful, affectionate, outgoing personalities.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
See also, Easy Tutorial to Draw a Cartoon Dog.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Shih Tzu
How to Draw a Great Looking Shih Tzu for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Outline the furry sides of the Shih Tzu's muzzle with a series of curved lines. Then, draw the rounded triangular nose, and enclose the round eyes with curved lines. Inside each eye, draw a circle within a circle and shade between them to indicate the pupil.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to use groupings of overlapping curved lines to contour the furry face. Draw the brows, the top of the nose, the side of the face, and the bottoms of the upper and lower jaw. Use a "U" shaped line to enclose the tongue, and draw a short line down the middle.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to draw overlapping curved lines for the brow, side of the face, and top of the head. Draw a "C" shaped line with a line across it to form the hairbow.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines that meet at gentle or sharp points to draw the tuft of fur or "ponytail" on top of the dog's head. Then, use curved lines that meet at points to continue the head and draw the ear.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 5
5. Finish the first ear using a series of curved lines. Then, draw the second.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points to complete the head, to outline the chest, and texture the fur of the chest.
Easy Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the dog's leg using a series of overlapping curved lines. Notice the furry texture and the overlap of the toes. Then, use a series of curved lines to begin sketching the belly.
Add More Details to Your Shih Tzu Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining foreleg. Again, use overlapping curved lines to draw the leg, paw, and toes with a furry texture. Then, use curved lines to begin the rear legs.
Complete the Outline of Your Shih Tzu Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the dog's tail by sketching curved lines - some connected at points and some unconnected - in a spiral shape. Then, enclose the dog's back with a line.
Color Your Shih Tzu Drawing
Color your cartoon Shih Tzu dog. They are often white with streaks of brown or grey.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Step-by-Step Dog Drawing Guides post.
For more easy and cute animal drawing tutorials, see the collection of Art Projects with Furry Animals for Kids.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Unlock Your Creativity with Step-by-Step Guides for Drawing Pooches page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Shih Tzu Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).