Learn how to draw a great looking Simple Cute Mermaid with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Simple Cute Mermaid.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Mermaids are one of the most beautiful mythological creatures. Many stories describe mermaids as women who swim in the ocean with their long fish tails. Mermaids can also be men (called "mermen") or a community of people (called the "merfolk") that live in the sea.
Some tales describe mermaids as scary creatures, but this simple cute mermaid is fun and friendly. Cartoon mermaids appear in a number of shows, movies, comic books and video games. This guide teaches you how to draw your own cartoon mermaid so you can travel under the sea together.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This simple cute mermaid has a fish friend like Ariel from "The Little Mermaid" cartoon. The guide recommends using orange after you outline the drawing, but you can use any color that you like.
When you're done, you can stick with the mermaid or add an ocean background with fish, seaweed and shells.
Use a sheet of blank paper to draw the outline with a pencil and eraser. Afterward, outline the drawing in black and use your favorite coloring tools to bring your mermaid to life.
This could include colored pencils, crayons, markers, paint, oil pastels or a combination of these for a mixed-media piece.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Poseidon, Cute Narwhal, and Mermaid.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Simple Cute Mermaid
How to Draw a Great Looking Simple Cute Mermaid for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Near the middle of the page, start with the bottom half of a heart shape. Sketch two short lines underneath, then add a diagonal line on each side pointing in the opposite direction. On the left, draw two more diagonal lines pointing downward. Repeat this process on the right but at slightly different angles.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 2
2. In the center of the body, make two ovals like an infinity symbol. Use a lightly curved line to complete the arm. Draw a half-oval for the palm, then use narrow hot dog shapes for the fingers.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two straight lines to complete the right arm, and sketch two more loose hot dog shapes. Add curved lines on either side of the body, then connect them with another curved line underneath.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch an oblong oval above the hand on the left. Underneath the body, use sweeping curves to draw a loose teardrop shape that curves upward at the point. Draw another loop for the last finger.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 5
5. For the fins, draw loopy shapes around the fish's body. Add a dot and small curves for the facial features.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two semi-circles near the center of the face. Sketch loose S-shapes over the semi-circles, then draw circles for the pupils and fill them in. Draw smaller white circles and leave them blank to capture the light glinting off the eyes. Add short curves above the eyes.
Easy Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 7
7. Add a hook shape for the nose and a curve for the mouth.
Add More Details to Your Simple Cute Mermaid Picture - Step 8
8. For the hair, start with two broad, swooping curves that come together in a point overlapping the head. Surround the rest of the head with loose, wavy lines like a cloud floating behind the body.
Complete the Outline of Your Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing - Step 9
9. Make a wide heart shape for the tail, and sketch lines inside the tail for added depth.
Color Your Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing
Outline your simple cute mermaid with a black pen, marker or colored pencil. Congratulations! You've drawn a cartoon mermaid.
For a final touch, color the hair yellow and the fish orange. Use green for the tail and purple for the top. Finally, use your favorite skin color to fill in the rest of the outline.
For more great Cute cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Cute cartoons Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Simple Cute Mermaid Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).