Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Do you know how the teddy bear got its name? In 1902, United States President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt was bear hunting in Mississippi. Roosevelt's hunt had been unsuccessful, so some of his companions chased and captured a young bear and tied it to a tree. Roosevelt refused to shoot the bear in an unsportsmanlike manner.
Soon thereafter, the incident was illustrated in a political cartoon in The Washington Post. A businessman saw the cartoon and was inspired to create a stuffed toy bear, which he advertised as "Teddy's bear." Thus the "Teddy" bear was born.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cute cartoon teddy bear? This cartoon drawing tutorial makes it super easy. You'll start by drawing overlapping ovals to get the shape of your teddy bear. Then, you'll fill in the details. All you'll need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Teddy Bear
1. Draw two overlapping ovals, one larger than the other. They form the teddy bear’s face and muzzle or mouth.
2. Draw two ovals overlapping the top of the largest oval. These form the bear’s ears.
3. Draw a large vertically oriented oval overlapping the oval of the mouth. This form's the teddy bear's body.
4. Draw two narrow, diagonally slanted ovals. They should overlap both the mouth and the body slightly. These ovals outline the teddy bear's arms.
5. Draw two diagonal ovals overlapping the bottom of the body. These outline the teddy bear's legs.
6. Erase the unnecessary overlapping lines, leaving a clean outline of the teddy bear.
7. Draw two small circles just above the bear's muzzle or snout to form the eyes. Inside each eye, draw a vertical oval with a small circle inside it. Shade between these shapes to indicate the pupil. Then, draw an inverted triangle on the snout to form the nose. Shade it, and draw a straight line from its lower point to the bottom of the snout.
8. Next, you'll draw the bear's stitching. Erase the tops of the leg ovals, and replace them with curved lines. Draw curved lines across the ends of the arms and legs, and from the eyes to the top of the head. Detail the ears with "C" shaped lines.
9. Color your teddy bear. Many are brown, but they can come in any color.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).