Learn how to draw a great looking Tribal Lion with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Tribal Lion.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a tribal lion? This easy, step-by-step tattoo drawing tutorial can show you how.
Lions are symbolic of many positive qualities. These include royalty, courage, and justice. It can also indicate mightiness in the military, sports, or personal pursuits. In some cultures, lions are seen as protectors. Occasionally, lions represent negative traits, as the Christian comparison of the devil to a roaring lion.
This lion is stylized in tribal tattoo fashion. Around the world, many tribal peoples have for centuries held the tradition of marking themselves with tattoos.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Since the fancy tattoo guns of today had not yet been invented, the tattoo usually consisted of simple lines as in our illustration. The tribal wolf is another common tribal tattoo design.
Tribal lion designs can be found in pop culture. The logo for Disney's The Lion King on Broadway is a tribal design.
The title character of the animated series Little Singham has a lion tattoo that glows whenever someone needs his help. Once Upon a Time's Robin Hood sports a lion tattoo. A large, roaring lion tattoo is featured on the metalcore album Rise of the Lion by Miss May I.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Baby Tiger, Griffin, and Baby Lion.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Tribal Lion
How to Draw a Great Looking Tribal Lion for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. For this tutorial, you are going to use ordinary pen or pencil lines to create thick lines and shapes that will be shaded later. First, let's start with the eye. Outline a thick, sideways "V" shape to form the eyebrow and a shape like a letter "A" laying on its side for the eye. Below the eye, outline a curved and pointed shape.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, outline the brow and nose. Use a series of curved, parallel lines. They should connect at a point above the eyebrow and shift inward toward the eye itself. Then, note the bulge on top of the snout. The inner line should then diverge from the outer, using a curved "V" to outline the pad of the nose.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue the outer line using a series of curved lines. A long first line forms the front of the muzzle. Then, short lines that meet at jagged points indicate teeth. Outline the inside of the mouth, then the bottom teeth.
Continue the inner line as well. A small line forms the nostril. Additional lines outline the front of the muzzle, top of the mouth, and a curved "V" shape that points upward.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue the inner line around the back of the open mouth. Then, draw the lion's beard using short curved lines that connect at jagged points. Above the eye, outline a wide, curved "V" shape.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the lion's ear. use a pair of long curved lines that meet at a sharp point. At the base of the ear, draw a series of short lines that meet at jagged points. Connect them to the other side using a straight line.
Then, begin drawing the lion's mane. Use a series of long and short curved lines to draw the jagged rectangle shape.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 6
6. Finish drawing the top of the mane. Use long curved lines that meet at points to enclose the jagged pattern. Then, draw the mane at the side of the face. Use long curved lines that meet at points.
Easy Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue drawing the flowing mane. Use long curved lines to craft the jagged "V" shape.
Add More Details to Your Tribal Lion Picture - Step 8
8. Outline more jagged shapes to continue texturing the mane.
Complete the Outline of Your Tribal Lion Drawing - Step 9
9. Fill in the remaining open spaces in the lion's mane with jagged, pointed shapes.
Color Your Tribal Lion Drawing
Shade the outlines of the tribal tattoo lion face.
For more great Man-Made cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Man-Made cartoons Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Tribal Lion Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).