Learn how to draw a great looking Velociraptor with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Velociraptor.
What's scarier than a Velociraptor? Not knowing how to draw one! You can create a realistic Velociraptor drawing when you follow this easy, step-by-step dinosaur drawing tutorial.
Velociraptors were theropods, meat-eating dinosaurs that walked on two legs. It is famous for the large, curved claw on its foot.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This Velociraptor picture does not include feathers, but some do. Why is that? Some raptor fossils include feathers.
Researchers have compared the velociraptor to a bird of prey, like this eagle drawing. It would have used its menacing claw similarly to how this eagle uses its talons.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Velociraptor
How to Draw a Great Looking Velociraptor for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon Velociraptor outline by drawing the head. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the eye ridge and snout.
Shade a teardrop-shaped nostril at the tip of the snout. Use two curved lines to enclose the half-circle shape of the eye, and shade a round pupil inside it.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a pair of lines that meet at a point to enclose the lower jaw. Then, fill the mouth with curved, triangle-shaped teeth. Contour the face with curved lines.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long curved line for the back of the neck and back, and a series of lines for the neck, chest, and shoulder. Use a line, doubled back on itself, to enclose the tongue within the mouth.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines to draw the forearm and fingers. Use long, curved triangles for the sharp claws.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the sides of the rear leg using long curved lines. Use shorter lines to connect the rear and fore legs, forming the belly, and to draw the toes. Use curved triangles for the deadly claws.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 6
6. Finish the rear foot, using a partial crescent-moon shape for the raptor’s famous claw.
Complete the foot with curved lines, and use overlapping lines to draw the remaining forearm. Use curved lines to enclose the triangular claw.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 7
7. Finish drawing the triangular claws on the foreleg. Use long curved lines for the remaining rear leg, and teardrop and crescent moon shapes for its claws. Complete the foot with shorter curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Velociraptor Picture - Step 8
8. Use three long curved lines to draw the dinosaur’s tail. Notice that one line travels from the top of the tail to its center, giving it a three-dimensional appearance.
Complete the Outline of Your Velociraptor Drawing - Step 9
9. Your Velociraptor outline is now complete. Next, color your cartoon dinosaur.
Color Your Velociraptor Drawing
What color were velociraptors? In Jurassic Park, they are striped with shades of grey. Sometimes they even have red or blue highlights.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Velociraptor Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).