Learn how to draw a great looking Velociraptor with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Velociraptor.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this six-foot turkey as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head... You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two 'raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see; he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this - a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, oh no... He slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect."
- Alan Grant, Jurassic Park
The term velociraptor means "swift seizer." It was native to Asia, while the larger deinonychus flourished in North America. It is known for its large claw, which it may have used as a weapon in the way the cassowary does today.
The velociraptor was first discovered in 1923. In 2007, a specimen was unearthed with quill knobs - protrusions to which feathers are anchored - on its forearm. This means that the velociraptor definitely wore at least some feathers.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? The velociraptors in the Jurassic Park films were much larger than fossil evidence suggests. Rather than being 6-foot-tall monsters that could look a grown man in the eye, raptors were actually about the size of a turkey. The dinosaurs in the film were based on the velociraptor's larger cousin, deinonychus.
Would you like to draw a cartoon velociraptor? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dinosaur drawing guide is here to show you how.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Tyrannosaurus Rex, Cartoon Dinosaur, and Yoshi.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Velociraptor
How to Draw a Great Looking Velociraptor for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using overlapping curved lines to draw an incomplete, irregular oval shape. The overlap at the bottom will become the dinosaur's mouth.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the raptor's face. Draw a curved line for the mouth, and enclose triangular teeth beneath it. Use curved lines to draw the brows and nostril ridges. Use a small circle for the nostril. Craft the eye using an upside-down teardrop shape. Shade a small oval inside it. On the back of the head, use overlapping "U" shaped lines to indicate feathers or spikes.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend a long, curved line from the back of the head to outline the neck and body. Double the line back upon itself to meet the base of the jaw.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the tail, erasing as necessary. Extend a pair of curved lines from the body, and allow them to meet at a gentle point.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a long curved line from just below the chin to the tip of the tail.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the leg, erasing as necessary. Use pairs of lines to sketch the upper leg, lower, leg, and foot, noting the bends of the joints. Draw the teardrop-shaped claws, including the large claw the velociraptor is famous for.
Easy Velociraptor Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to sketch the remaining leg, complete with teardrop-shaped claws.
Add More Details to Your Velociraptor Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the forearm, erasing as necessary. Use pairs of lines for each portion, noting the elbow and the bends of the fingers.
Complete the Outline of Your Velociraptor Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to sketch the remaining forearm and claws.
Color Your Velociraptor Drawing
Color your velociraptor. The fossil record doesn't tell us what colors or patterns dinosaurs wore, so be creative!
Then, check out our other cartoon dinosaurs, including the brachiosaurus and tyrannosaurus rex.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Velociraptor Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).