Learn how to draw a great looking Willow Tree with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Willow Tree.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Willow trees and shrubs are native to the temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere.
They often grow near sources of water, and their roots can even invade underground pipes and swimming pools.
The weeping willow, whose branches droop to the ground, is perhaps the most well-known. Another popular variety is the corkscrew willow, which has twisted twigs and branches.
At times, willow trees have been personified as intelligent characters. For example, in Disney’s animated film Pocahontas, Grandmother Willow was a weeping willow tree with a face, a voice, and a personality.
She advised young Pocahontas, provided a playground for her animal friends Meeko and Flit, and even fought against the settlers.
Did you know? Certain willow species produce a chemical compound used in pain relievers. Some Native Americans chewed willow bark as a remedy for headaches.
This is why Pocahontas gives the injured John Smith a package with the words, “Here, it’s from Grandmother Willow’s bark. It will help with the pain.”
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Wind in the Willows, a children's novel by Kenneth Grahame, is another famous literary example.
It follows the adventures of Mole, Rat, Toad, and Badger and is portrayed in the Disney film The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a weeping willow tree? You can use this simple, step-by-step cartoon plant drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper. You may also like to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Oak Tree, Fall Tree, and Cartoon Tree.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Willow Tree
How to Draw a Great Looking Willow Tree for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the curved trunk. Use pairs of curved lines for the trunk and each of the roots. The trunk and roots should overlap slightly.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 2
2. Use pairs of curved lines, some overlapping with the lines of the trunk, to sketch the branches or limbs. Draw "V" shaped lines at the tips of some. Then, begin sketching the leafy foliage. Use a series of connected "U" shaped lines.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to draw the sagging, weeping foliage. Use a series of connected "U" shaped lines to draw the roughly "V" shaped boughs.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue drawing "V" shaped boughs of verdur using a series of connected "U" shaped lines. Texture the leaves with single "U" shaped lines and short chains of connected lines.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw two more weeping "V" shaped boughs using a series of connected "U" shaped lines. Then, use longer curved lines to draw the side of the tree's crown. Texture the foliage with curved and "U" shaped lines.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to continue sketching the crown of the tree. Notice that the tops of the boughs overlap one another. Texture the leaves with several series of "U" shaped lines.
Easy Willow Tree Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the willow tree's uppermost bough, using a series of connected curved lines. Notice how its peak overlaps with its sides, and with the existing boughs. Texture the leaves with curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Willow Tree Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the outline of the tree using a series of connected curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Willow Tree Drawing - Step 9
9. Texture the leaves with several series of connected curved lines. Texture the bark with curved and swirling lines. Then, draw the ground beneath the tree using wavy lines with upward points.
Color Your Willow Tree Drawing
Color your cartoon weeping willow tree. Both the bark and the leaves of willows are often silvery green.
For more great Tree drawing tutorials, see the 21 Tree Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Willow Tree Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).