A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Anime Boots with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
Some anime characters choose to go barefoot (see How to Draw a Foot), but most wear some type of shoes - be they army boots, ballet slippers, high heels, sandals, or something else.
Outfit all your characters with the aid of this anime boots and shoes drawing guide.
First, we'll take an in-depth look at a very specific type of footwear - the army or combat boot.
This easy drawing tutorial will show you how to draw this boot step-by-step from three different perspectives - front, 3/4, and side views.
You'll be ready to outfit an entire cartoon army.
Then, we'll take a look at different types of anime and manga shoes. If you need some ideas, this reference drawing is for you.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing Anime Boots
If your characters have declared war, they'll need the right shoes for the task. Try these anime boots on for size.
Though visually complex, this anime boot sketch is easy to draw when you break the outline into lines and shapes.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the combat boot's upper from a forward viewpoint. Use curved lines to trace the top of the shoe, including the tall shaft that protects the leg. Inside the outline, distinguish the quarters or sides of the shoe using curved lines.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 2
2. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the thick rectangular tread along the boot's sole. Use curved lines to outline the safety toe cap above the toe box, as well as fasteners along the side of the boot.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 3
3. Next, trace a similar outline from the 3/4 perspective. In this view, you see more of the side of the boot's upper.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to draw the sole, tread, and buckles of the 3/4 perspective boot.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 5
5. Finally, begin drawing the boot from a side view. Use curved lines to outline the upper and toe box.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 6
6. Sketch the sole and the buckles on the side of the boot.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the laces dangling from the tongue of each boot.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 8
8. Draw the laces crisscrossing back and forth across each boot's tongue or gusset, holding the two quarters of the upper together across the top of the foot.
Anime Boots drawing - Step 9
9. Finish drawing the laces using pairs of straight lines.
Complete Anime Boots drawing
10. Color your cartoon combat boots. This type of boot is generally brown, tan, or camouflage green in color.
Interestingly, you may need to use two of these perspectives within your drawing of a single character, depending on their stance.
Drawing Different Types of Anime Shoes
The footwear worn by anime characters is as varied as what you might find in your own closet or local shoe store.
Take a look at the illustration of different anime shoes below. Each pair of shoes is depicted from two different angles - a side view and a 3/4 view. After all, shoes are drawn differently from the front and from the side.
In the first row, we see three of the most common types of footwear in anime and manga cartoons. Sneakers or tennis shoes are laced up and worn with socks. They have a prominent sole, a tongue, and embellished sides or uppers. These make good school shoes or even sports shoes for juvenile and teen characters.
Next, we see anime heels or pumps. Notice how this type of shoe shifts the position of the leg and foot. The ankles are elevated and the muscles of the lower leg are engaged. In most cases, this type of formal shoe is worn by female characters.
In the third image, we see a sandals drawing - specifically, these shoes are flip flops or Japanese geta sandals. Thong sandals such as these may be the easiest anime shoes drawing.
On the second row are several more specialized types of shoes. First, we have men's dress shoes or office shoes. Shown here only with socks, this type of shoe is often worn with dress slacks or a suit.
Next are women's boots or booties. These shoes are also high-heeled. But, even many fighting characters wear shoes of this type.
Finally, we see the rugged army or combat boots that we already drew in the above step-by-step tutorial.
What to draw next?
Draw our a fully clothed woman based on this ready-made anime outfit, or design your own fashionista from our selection of anime clothes drawing tutorials, including shoes, coats, jeans, skirts, shirts, hoodies, dresses, and hats.
Related drawing tutorials:
- How to draw a jacket
- Anime pants drawing
- Anime mini skirt drawing
- How to draw a collared shirt
- How to draw a dress
- Anime hats drawing
Discover how to draw anime style with over 100 easy, detailed tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).