Learn how to draw a great looking Rayquaza with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Rayquaza drawing.
Along with Kyogre and Groudon, Rayquaza leads the weather trio or elemental trio, a protective group of super-ancient Pokémon.
Rayquaza is said to be hundreds of millions of years old. It lives in the upper atmosphere, and is rarely seen by people because it resembles a falling meteor while in flight. It also consumes meteors in order to use their power.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a rambunctious Rayquaza? This easy, step-by-step Pokémon drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Rayquaza, I choose you!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Rayquaza from Pokémon
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a small circle. This will form Rayquaza’s head. Then, extend a pair of long, curved lines from the head, forming the neck.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 2
2. Beneath the neck, enclose a series of irregular shapes. Each shape can be drawn using curved lines, and should be roughly the same diameter as the neck.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the lower neck segment with irregular polygons, giving it an armored appearance. Then, draw another section. Extend two curved lines from the bottom of the shape, and connect them using a third curved line. Along one side, detail the shape with a double layer of “U” shaped lines.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend another set of curved lines from the bottom of the shape. Segment the shape with narrow bands of curved lines. Draw three sets of lines along the upper segment, like the top of a trapezoid. Draw a smaller incomplete trapezoid within each, and connect the lines using short, straight lines. Erase guide lines as necessary. Decorate the lower segment with a double layer of “U” shaped lines.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend another set of curved lines from the figure, and enclose the end. The drawing should now be roughly “S” shaped. Separate the segments using a curved line. Draw several trapezoid shapes emanating from the upper segment, and place a smaller trapezoid within each. Embellish the lower segment with two ovals encased by two wavy, curved lines.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a pair of curved lines to form another segment. Ring the top of the segment with a curved lines, and draw several trapezoids emanating from it. Place a smaller trapezoid within each.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Rayquaza’s tail. Extend another set of curved lines, this time allowing them to taper and meet in a rounded point. Draw a pair of parallel lines around the tail to separate the segments. Draw two ovals within the upper segment, skirted by wavy lines. Then, draw a triangle extending from each side of the tail tip. Draw a smaller triangle within each triangle.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 8
8. Detail Rayquaza’s head. Use straight and curved lines to form his beard, the shape of his mouth, his pointed eyebrow ridge, and his long ears. Erase guide lines as necessary. Don’t forget the small, triangular teeth within the mouth. Use two curved lines to form the eye, with a small circle for the pupil. Detail the back of the neck using parallel lines.
Rayquaza Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the arms and sharp claws.
Complete Rayquaza Drawing
10. Color your Rayquaza. Rayquaza is typically green in color with yellow, black, and pink accents.
Are you training to be the next Pokémon master? Learning to draw this and other fantastic Pokémon is a great place to start. Hone your skills with our selection of cartoon character drawing guides, where you'll discover Pikachu, Charizard, and many others. You might even find a few legendary Pokémon!
For more great Pokemon drawing tutorials, see the 18 Easy to Draw Pokemon Drawing Tutorials post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).