Learn how to draw a great looking Kraken with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Kraken.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Below the thunders of the upper deep,
For, far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth."
- "The Kraken" by Alfred Tennyson
The Kraken is a sea monster of ancient legend, part of the mythology of Europe's Scandinavian region. The Kraken was purported to be large enough to sink a ship at sea.
The Kraken was first described in an educational book around the year 1250, in which it was compared to a whale that could not reproduce and which lured schools of fish into its huge mouth.
By the late thirteenth century, the Kraken also played a role in many sagas of Iceland, Greenland, and surrounding areas.
One said of the Kraken, "it is the nature of this creature to swallow men and ships, and even whales and everything else within reach."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The myths likely arose from sightings of giant or colossal squid, which can reach lengths 13 to 15 meters (40 to 50 feet).
The squid and the octopus are often confused for one another. Octopi generally have a round head and eight arms. Squid have triangular heads with fins on each side, eight arms, and two tentacles. Can you tell which type of mollusk is depicted in our illustrations?
Would you like to draw a cartoon Kraken? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Squid, Whale, and Cartoon Shark.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Kraken
How to Draw a Great Looking Kraken for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you to form the octopus’s head.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a second, slightly smaller, circle overlapping the first. This will help you to outline the lower portion of the head.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 3
3. Connect the two circles using a short, curved line on one side. This forms the octopus’s sinister brow. Then, extend a long curved line from the bottom of the larger circle and the side of the smaller circle. Allow the lines to form irregular spiral patterns at the ends. Then, draw a long, curved line roughly parallel to the preceding lines. It should meet each of the previous lines at a sharp point. This forms the first two of the octopus’s many arms.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide lines left by the original circles, leaving a clean outline of the head. Then, draw four more arms. For each, extend a pair of curved lines from the head or from behind another arm. Allow the lines to twist and turn, getting closer together until they meet at a sharp point.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw suction cups along the bottom of each leg. For each suction cup, draw a small, flat oval. Then, draw short lines on each end.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the final two legs of the octopus so that there are eight in total. Extend two pairs of curved lines from between the front two arms, and allow each pair to meet at a point.
Easy Kraken Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the suction cups or suckers on the final two legs. For each sucker, draw a small, flat oval with short, curved lines on each end. Erase any remaining guide lines.
Add More Details to Your Kraken Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the Kraken’s mischievous eyes. For each eye, draw an inverted teardrop shape. Then, shade a small circle in the bottom corner to indicate the pupil.
Complete the Outline of Your Kraken Drawing - Step 9
9. Contour your Kraken and give him a three-dimensional appearance by drawing curved lines along the top of the head, down the center of the face, and along the top of the arms.
Color Your Kraken Drawing
Color your Kraken. Then, check out more real and mythical animals among our cartoon animal drawing guides.
For more great Fantasy drawing tutorials, see the 51 Cute Fantasy Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Kraken Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).