Learn how to draw a great looking Tree of Life with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Tree of Life.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Many religious traditions around the world have a tree of life, sacred tree, or world tree tradition. In some legends, a huge tree binds together the heavens and the earth.
In others, the tree is located in "the center of the earth" and often "protected by supernatural guardians." The tree confers continued life, perhaps everlasting life, to humankind.
In Christian iconography, the Tree of Life was located in the Garden of Eden.
After the first man and woman, Adam and Eve, sinned by consuming the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of good and bad, they were cast out of the garden so that they could not "take fruit also from the tree of life and eat and live forever" (Genesis 3:22).
The entrance to the garden, and thus the tree, was then protected by angels and a flaming sword.
Today, the stylized tree of life motif is often seen on jewelry and decor. It is closely associated with the family tree and the idea of close ties to loved ones and family members.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of the tree of life? This easy, step-by-step cartoon plant drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Tree Branch, Oak Tree, and Easter Egg Tree.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Tree of Life
How to Draw a Great Looking Tree of Life for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the lower trunk and roots of the tree. Use curved lines that meet at swirling points on the ends, resembling the tentacles of an octopus. Note, too, the bulges on the roots with a teardrop shape drawn in the middle. These indicate tangled overlapping roots.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue drawing the roots using long and short curved lines. Note the shapes that the roots make - small triangles and an inverted heart similar to that of a Celtic knot.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue drawing the roots using curved lines, noting that the remaining roots don't end in points; rather, they are joined together. Erase portions of existing roots as necessary.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin drawing the branches of the tree. On one side, use curved lines to draw a short pointed branch. On both sides, draw a long, downward-pointing branch. Use a pair of parallel curved lines that diverge sharply near the tip. Connect the ends with a wide, curved, "V" shaped line.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the next set of branches, erasing points of overlap as necessary. Use a long curved line for the top of each branch. Draw the bottom of the branch using a series of curved lines, punctuated by sets of curved lines that meet at points. Note that one twig diverges into a spiral shape and a point that crosses over the lower branch.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to draw the next branch, erasing as necessary. Note the twigs coming up from the branch below to intersect and help form the knot-like pattern.
Easy Tree of Life Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to draw the next branch, erasing as necessary. Note the twigs coming up from the branch below to intersect with and help form the knot-like pattern.
Add More Details to Your Tree of Life Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the final branch at the crown of the tree. Use two curved lines that meet at a point. Then, draw leaves all around the tree.
Complete the Outline of Your Tree of Life Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the rest of the leaves. For each leaf, use two curved lines to draw a teardrop-like shape that is pointed at the tip. Draw a line down the center of the leaf to form the central vein.
Color Your Tree of Life Drawing
Color your cartoon tree of life design. We've shaded the one in our illustration with a dark solid color to imitate the tribal tattoo style.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Tree of Life Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).