Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
"Think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings."
- Tinker Bell
What is a pixie? In English folklore, a pixie or pixy was thought to be a "tiny elf like spirit or mischievous fairy dressed in green who dances in the moonlight to the music of frogs and crickets." They liked to play tricks on people, confuse them, blow out candles, and make noises in homes or in water. The word "pixilated" originally described "a person who becomes lost on a familiar road," presumably because of the pranks of a pixie.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Tinker Bell originally debuted in the 1904 children's story Peter Pan, which follows the adventures of children who venture to a land where you never have to grow up. Tinker Bell's "pixie dust" enabled the children to fly. The story became a classic Disney animated film in 1953.
Since then, Tinker Bell has starred in books, movies, animated cartoon series, and merchandise. Along with Mickey Mouse, she serves as the mascot of Disney.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of the spunky Tinker Bell? You can learn to do just that by following the step-by-step instructions in this drawing tutorial. You will need a pencil and an eraser, and perhaps crayons, markers, or colored pencils with which to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Tinker Bell
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will become the fairy's face.
2. Draw another, smaller circle overlapping the first. This, too, will serve as a guide in drawing Tinkerbell's face.
3. Draw a curved line below the smaller circle. Then, draw another curved line below it.
4. Draw two circles, one attached to the curved line of the shoulder and one below it. These should be slightly larger than the primary circle of the head. This will aid you in outlining Tinker Bell's body.
5. Draw a pair of curved lines, crossing each other in an "X" shape. The tops of the lines should overlap the lowest circle. Draw two small, overlapping circles just below the point where the lines cross. These will help you to sketch Tinker Bell's legs and knees.
6. Draw curved lines descending from each side of the torso to begin sketching the arms. Draw a small circle in the middle of each to indicate the elbows.
7. Draw curved lines at the end of each arm to begin sketching the hands and fingers. Then, use curved lines to enclose a wavy triangle at the bottom of each leg, forming the feet.
8. Draw two curved lines that meet above the head, outlining an incomplete teardrop shape. This is Tinker Bell's hair. Then, enclose a partial circle above it, forming the bun.
9. Draw curved lines between the circles of the body. Extend the lines below the lower circle, and connect them with a curved line. This outlines the fairy's torso and skirt.
10. Use curved lines to outline the front of the face and the neck. Draw the ear using a "C" shaped line.
11. Draw a curved "M" shaped line across the top of the torso, outlining the neck of the garment. Draw a series of connected curved lines across the bottom of the skirt, giving it a ruffled edge. Erase as necessary.
12. Use curved lines to contour the legs. Notice how the lines converge at the knee, and the shape of the thigh and calf muscles.
13. Use curved lines to contour the shape of the arms. Notice the bulge of the muscles and the convergence of lines at the elbows and wrists.
14. Use curved lines to trace the delicate fingers.
15. Detail the hair, using a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points.
16. Erase all the guide lines, leaving a clean outline of the girl.
17. Draw a circle on top of and a curved line across each foot. These outline the shoes.
18. Turn the girl into a fairy by giving her wings. Extend two pairs of curved lines from the shoulders and allow them to meet at a sharp point. Below them, outline the lower wings with two "C" shaped lines.
20. Use curved lines to texture the wings, dress, and knee.
21. Color your cartoon of Tinker Bell. She typically has blonde hair and a green dress.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!