Like my drawing tutorials? Get more on YouTube:
“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
– Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back
The diminutive Yoda made his theatrical debut in 1980 as Luke Skywalker’s eccentric tutor in the ways of the Jedi Knights. He returned to the big screen in the 1990s during the theatrical re-release of the original Star Wars trilogy, and again in 1999 with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Since then, he’s been a part of numerous movies and television cartoons.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The names of Yoda’s species and his home planet are unknown, but he is said to have trained Jedi for over 800 years – and to have lived for more than 900 years. At least one other member of this species played a role in the Star Wars saga, a female named Yaddle who also sat on the Jedi Council.
Yoda’s wisdom has been much lauded, both onscreen and off. For example, during the early 2000s, a poster was sold entitled “Everything I Needed to Know About Life I Learned from Yoda,” which listed his quotations to date.
Would you like to learn to draw Yoda? This step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to complete your training, young padawan. You will need only a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. So, don’t just try – do your best as you begin this drawing. May the Force be with you!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Yoda
1. Begin by drawing a circle to outline Yoda’s head.
2. Draw a curved line across the top of the circle to further detail the shape of the head. Then, draw Yoda’s ears. For each ear, extend two curved lines from the side of the head, allowing them to meet in a gentle point. Then, use curved lines to outline the inner ear, following the curvature of the ear.
3. Erase guide lines from the top of the head.
4. Draw Yoda’s clothing. Extend a “V” shaped line beneath the head. Then, extend curved lines alongside it, and connect these at the bottom, forming a “Y” shape. Draw two curved lines across the middle of the “Y.” From the torso, extend two curved lines on each side to outline the robe, and connect them at the end. To draw the legs, extend a pair of short lines from the bottom of the “Y” shape, then draw straight lines in the shape of a “Y” beneath these. Connect the bottom of the “Y” to the robe using curved lines.
5. Beneath each leg, draw three downward facing, rounded triangles. These are Yoda’s claws. Connect them with curved lines, forming the feet.
6. Sketch the arm using curved lines. Draw rounded triangles for the claws, and connect them with curved lines, forming the hand. Then, draw the lightsaber using several rounded rectangles. Erase guide lines as necessary.
7. Draw Yoda’s other hand. Use rounded triangles for the claws, and use curved lines to sketch the hand and draping sleeve.
8. Draw Yoda’s eyes and nose. For each eye, begin with an oval. Draw a curved line across it to designate the eyelid. Draw curved lines between the eyes to indicate the curve of the nose. Sketch the shape of the nose, an oval with two indentions for nostrils.
9. Add detail to Yoda’s face. Use a curved line for the mouth, chin, around the eyes, and along the forehead and cheeks.
10. Color Yoda. His skin and lightsaber are green and he wears brown clothing.
The Complete Yoda Drawing Tutorial in One Image
Thank You for Signing Up!
Your printable PDF drawing guide is ready for downloading:DOWNLOAD THE DRAWING GUIDE
Liked the drawing guide?
Leave a comment below or follow on Pinterest.