Learn how to draw a great looking Flying Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Flying Dragon.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Dragons are one of the world's most famous mythological creatures. Dragons appear in Chinese culture, Norse myths and medieval folklore.
In modern times, dragons appear in books like "The Hobbit" by J. R. R. Tolkien, who also wrote the Lord of the Rings series. You'll also find dragons in movies, comics, cartoons, TV shows and fairy tales.
In Western culture, dragons are large, scaly creatures that look like lizards with wings. They fly through the air and breathe fire. This cartoon flying dragon has broad wings that swoop through the air, carrying you to your next adventure.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Some myths portray dragons as monsters that hoard gold, kidnap princesses and breathe fire at anyone who crosses them.
Your cartoon flying dragon can be nice or scary--whatever you want. When you're done, fill in the background so it looks like your dragon is flying through the sky.
Before you start, find a pencil and a few sheets of paper. Pick up a black pen or marker so you can outline the drawing, then use whatever coloring tools you like.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Japanese Dragon, The Haku Dragon from Spirited Away, and Dragon Wings.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Flying Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Flying Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. On the right side of the page, start with a straight line, loop it downward and lead into a curved line, then sketch two triangles at the end. Add a hooked line on top to complete the head. For the eye, draw a half-circle with an elongated S-shape on top. Sketch another curve above the eye.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw two curved triangle shapes on top of the head for the horns. Add a curve underneath the head for the jaw, then use triangles for the teeth. Sketch small lines for the nostrils.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. Add a few sketchy lines near the head, then use long, swooping curved lines for the neck. Start the wing by drawing a narrow tube with a teardrop shape on top.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two parallel curved lines for the top of the wing. Next, sketch four curved lines like the edge of a shell, then add curved lines to connect them to the top-right corner of the wing.
This shape resembles an umbrella. Start the arm with a rounded hook shape, then draw an uneven line underneath.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Make a loop for the elbow and another loop for the palm, then use rounded triangles for the claws. Sketch a curved line half an inch away.
Add a V-shape to the left, curve it downward for the rounded foot, then draw the line upward to complete a shape like a chicken leg. Connect the arm and leg with a single curved line.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw triangles on the end of the foot for the claws. Next, draw two straight lines for the top of the right hand, then add a shorter line underneath. Draw round triangles for the claws, and sketch lines to define the fingers.
Easy Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch a backward S-shape, then draw a curve underneath for the tail. Complete the tail with three curved triangles. For the right leg, draw a curve, add two straight lines and create a rounded foot, then sketch a line upward to finalize the shape.
Add More Details to Your Flying Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Draw triangles along the back of the body, then add a line with a teardrop shape at the end.
Complete the Outline of Your Flying Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch a broad, swooping curved line upward, then make scallop shapes and use lines to connect them to the top of the wing.
Color Your Flying Dragon Drawing
Outline your flying dragon with a black marker or pen. Congratulations! You've completed a cartoon flying dragon.
Use different shades of green to color the outline. Color the wings and belly light green, then use a similar shade of yellow for the horns and claws. Use light red for the eye.
For more great Dragon drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy Dragon Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Flying Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).