Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Leprechaun with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial, plus FREE printable pages.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cartoon Leprechaun.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a leprechaun? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial will help you to master the leprechaun outline.
In Irish folklore and mythology, the leprechaun was a type of spirit, elf, or fairy. It appeared in the form of an old man in a distinctive hat and clothing, and occupied itself in making shoes.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
If leprechauns are captured, they are said to grant three wishes in exchange for their release - or, they might reveal the location of a pot of gold. They are also very tricky and may make an escape if you look away!
Today, images of leprechauns are often associated with Irish culture and the celebration of St. Patrick's Day. In the past, such caricatures were used in a derogatory fashion. Famous leprechaun characters include Lucky, the mascot for Lucky Charms cereal, and the title character of the Leprechaun horror films.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Oogie Boogie from the Nightmare Before Christmas, Elf on the Shelf, and The Grinch.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Leprechaun
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Leprechaun for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin drawing the cartoon leprechaun outline by drawing the chin and shoulders. Use long curved lines for each. Then, use curved lines to sketch the pointed ears. Detail within the ears using curved lines.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the leprechaun's pot of gold. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to sketch the hand holding the bottom of the pot. Then, use overlapping curved lines to enclose the pot itself. Next, draw a large "W" shaped line to trace the bottom and side of the leprechaun's torso.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 3
3. Finish enclosing the remaining arm and hand using a series of curved lines. Beneath the neck, draw a "V" shaped line. Enclose a small circle above it and a gently pointed shape around it. This is the collar of the leprechaun's garments.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a belt and buckle across the middle of the coat. For the buckle, draw a square within a square. Draw a small oval shape overlapping one side of it. Then, draw parallel lines on both sides of the buckle to form the belt. Next, use curved lines to outline the irregular shape of the leg.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the remaining leg using curved lines. Then, draw two curved lines near the top of the pot, contouring the pot's lip and opening. Above the opening, sketch several overlapping, partial oval shapes. This is the leprechaun's gold.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to enclose the rectangular eyes, and shade a round pupil within each eye. Then, use a series of curved lines to sketch the bushy, scalloped eyebrows.
Easy Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to indicate the nose and smiling mouth. Then, draw the beard using an alternating series of curved lines and "V" shaped lines. Erase a small section of the chin, and use curved lines to draw the beard as it extends towards the mouth.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Leprechaun Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the leprechaun's hat. Use curved lines to trace the opening of the hat, its brim, the crown of the hat, and the hatband. Draw curved lines from the hat to the ears, enclosing the pointed hair of the sideburns.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your leprechaun outline by drawing his shoes. Extend pairs of short lines from the pants to indicate the legs. Then, use curved lines to enclose the irregular shape of the pointed, heeled shoes with little balls at the toe-tips.
Color Your Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing
Color your cartoon leprechaun. In popular culture, leprechauns often have red or orange hair and are dressed in green. Historically, they wore red.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Leprechaun Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
The following printable pages are FREE to all readers.
Click the picture or button below to view the free printable PDF of this drawing guide.View FREE Printable Pages
If you like what you see, sign up today to access our library of thousands of simple coloring pages and drawing guides!