Learn how to draw a great looking Christmas House with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Christmas House.
It's that time of year again. You can set the scene with this Christmas house drawing.
Have you ever wondered where the tradition of Christmas decorations like those in this cartoon came from? Today's Christmas traditions are an amalgamation of celebrations from the past. For example:
- The Christmas tree - ancient peoples decorated their homes with evergreen plants in the winter because these seemed to have a supernatural ability to survive when other plants couldn't. In medieval Germany, these customs were mixed with Christian beliefs about Adam and Eve and the "paradise tree." The Christmas tree was cemented in the modern mythos during the 1800s after the tradition was adopted by the British royal family.
- Christmas lights - in ancient times, worshipers lit fires to try to revive their "dying" sun god as the days got shorter. Later, this became linked with Christ's comment that he was the "light of the world."
- Christmas ornaments - previously, apples or wafers were symbolically hung from the trees. By the 1500s, craftsmen were making them from blown glass. Interestingly, the earliest ornaments were in the shape of fruits or nuts.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Sometimes, gingerbread houses are used as Christmas decorations. These edible houses are designed to resemble a Christmas house with decorations.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Christmas House
How to Draw a Great Looking Christmas House for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Christmas house outline by drawing a series of connected, curved lines at the bottom of the page. This is the snow in front of the house. Outline the front of the house by extending two straight lines from the snow.
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the roof of the cartoon house using wavy curved lines. Notice that there are two layers to the roof. This indicates the snow on it (or icing, if you choose to make this a gingerbread house).
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 3
3. Use straight lines to outline the rectangular steps, the sides of the door, and the side of the house. Draw an arch shape at the top of the door and a circle for the doorknob. Use a long curved line to draw the snow on the roof.
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 4
4. Use straight lines to outline the rectangles of the chimney. Draw snow beneath it and on the roof above it using curved lines. Use a series of short lines to enclose the double-circle shape of the wreath on the front door. Then, detail the door with rounded rectangle shapes.
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a bow on the top of the wreath. Then, enclose windows with flower boxes on the side of the house and above the door. Use straight lines to sketch the rectangular box and wavy lines for the snow collected on it. Use a "U" shaped line to draw the arched window, and separate the panes when you use straight lines to draw a cross shape.
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 6
6. Decorate the house, erasing as necessary. Draw circles above the window and door. Sketch snow above the door using a wavy line. Enclose triangular icicles hanging from the eaves. On each side of the house, draw a giant "J" shaped candy cane.
Easy Christmas House Drawing - Step 7
7. Band the candy canes with curved lines, and draw circles around the remaining window. Use a series of curved lines to draw a pine tree beside the house.
Add More Details to Your Christmas House Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the first tree, and draw more in the background. Draw circles on the tree to indicate the Christmas ornaments.
Complete the Outline of Your Christmas House Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your Christmas house outline by using curved lines to outline more trees in the background, a cloud, and a crescent moon in the sky.
Color Your Christmas House Drawing
Color your cartoon of a Christmas house with decorations.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Christmas House Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).