Learn how to draw a great looking Face Portrait with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Face Portrait.
Realism is the foundation for virtually every art style. Start practicing realism by learning how to draw a face portrait.
Realism is an art style that portrays reality as accurately as possible with no embellishments.
Some artists practice realism until their drawings and paintings are virtually indistinguishable from photographs.
Others, like Pablo Picasso, started with realism to learn the fundamentals before they turned to abstract art.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This guide teaches you about basic anatomy so you can draw cartoons and realistic faces with precision.
Stick with an outline if you prefer the cartoon look, or color and shade in your drawing to make it more realistic.
Use paints if you want to feel like a Renaissance painter.
When you're done, try more realism drawings, or sketch a cartoon like a happy face to see how much you've improved.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Face Portrait
How to Draw a Great Looking Face Portrait for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with two lemon shapes near the center of the page. Inside each shape, draw two circles with one inside the other. Learn how to draw cartoon eyes separately for more practice.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 2
2. Use thick dashes above the eyes for the eyebrows. Sketch loose triangles for the eyelashes, then draw a dash above each eye.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a horizontal loop about a half-inch below the eyes. Add a vertical loop on either side, then sketch a curved vertical line to outline the nose. Use a wavy line with a dash on both sides for the mouth.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 4
4. For the mouth, draw two hills above the line and a curve below like you're drawing a woman's face. Outline the face with a wide loop that's vaguely U-shaped.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 5
5. Sketch loops on either side of the face for the ears, then add curves and loops inside the ears to give them depth.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 6
6. To start the hair, draw three swooping waves around the top of the face portrait. Add teardrop shapes for the earrings, then use two curves for the neck.
Easy Face Portrait Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch more loose, wavy curves to give the hair depth.
Add More Details to Your Face Portrait Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more curves around the face portrait to make the hair look breezy and flowing.
Complete the Outline of Your Face Portrait Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the hair with more curves for added depth and texture.
Color Your Face Portrait Drawing
Finally, use a black marker or pen to outline your face portrait. Fill in the pupils, eyelashes and eyebrows to make them stand out.
Color your face portrait outline with your favorite eye, hair and skin colors. This guide recommends using reddish-brown shades that complement each other. Add blue for the teardrop earrings.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Face Portrait Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).