Learn how to draw a great looking Fire Breathing Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Fire Breathing Dragon drawing.
In ancient mythology, dragons are scary creatures that hoard treasure and breathe fire. Dragons have wings, scales, claws and horns that make them look like giant lizards. If you had a dragon for a pet, it might accidentally set your house on fire. Luckily, cartoon dragons are harmless.
This cartoon fire breathing dragon will protect you once you've drawn, outlined and colored the drawing. Your dragon is fierce and scary and knows how to breathe flames.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Fly through the skies with your fire breathing dragon, or give your dragon treasure to protect while you go on adventures.
To draw a cartoon dragon, start with a pencil sketch, then use a black pen or marker for the outline. Color your drawing with pens, markers, colored pencils, crayons, paint or oil pastels. Make sure you erase the pencil lines first so your drawing looks clean and professional.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Fire Breathing Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Fire Breathing Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Draw the mouth with an uneven V-shape like a flame. Add a curve for the snout, make a short horizontal curve and draw another loop, then end the shape with a straight line. Draw small curved lines for the right eye.
For the left eye, make an elongated S-shape, then add an oval underneath and draw the slit pupil.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curves parallel to the underside of the mouth for the jaw. Sketch lines inside the face to give it more depth, then draw jagged triangles for the teeth.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. For the horns, draw swooping upward shapes that look like flames. Add a wavy shape in the middle that resembles an ocean wave. Use curves for the tongue, and surround the shape with more jagged triangles.
Start the neck with a loose horizontal line, then add a sweeping line underneath.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. Complete the neck with a long sweeping line. Add more curves to the right to create a bulbous shape like a pear. Draw wavy, uneven lines for the arm, then sketch loose triangles for the claws.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Repeat the earlier for the right hand. Start the left foot with an L-shape, then sketch large, curvy triangles. Continue this process with the right foot.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the right foot with a swooping line that curves inward. On the left, start the body with an uneven vertical line, then sketch two parallel curves with a point at the end. Add two curvy triangles to make shapes that resemble fins.
For the left wing, draw one curve upward, bring it down with another curve and connect the line with scallop shapes. Make a loose teardrop shape at the top of the wing.
Easy Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch lines inside the wings and body for added depth. Use small curvy lines to draw the scales on the back and tail.
Add More Details to Your Fire Breathing Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Add dashed lines to give the stomach more texture. For the flames, use sketchy lines with curves and points. Don't try to make the lines even--flames are supposed to be loose and chaotic.
Complete the Outline of Your Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Repeat this process to give the flames depth. Add a few extra shapes to show sparks emitting from the flame. Outline your cartoon fire breathing dragon with a black pen or marker.
Color Your Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing
Now that you've outlined your fire breathing dragon, use orange and yellow for the flames and green for the body. Use different shades of green for the shadows and highlights. Add grey for the horns and yellow for the eyes.
For more great Dragon drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy and Fun Dragon Drawing Ideas post.
Fire Breathing Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).