Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
"Time to Hatch a new friend!"
- Penguala, Adventures in Hatchtopia
Hatchimals are interactive robotic toys that "hatch" from their own eggs. The idea arose from the popularity of unboxing videos on YouTube - Hatchimals would be a toy that could "unbox" themselves after interacting with their new owner over a period of time. Introduced in 2016, they quickly saw a high demand that rivaled other sought-after toys like Tickle Me Elmo.
Hatchimals are from the fictional world of Hatchtopia. Originally, there were five species based on mash-ups of real-world animals: the Owlicorn, Penguala, Draggle, Burtle, and Bearakeet.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Hatchimals lineup now includes more Hatchimals species, small plastic figurines, fairies, and much more. They also star in their own cartoon series.
Would you like to draw an adorable Hatchimal emerging from its egg? Here's a step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial to show you how. You'll need a pencil and an eraser to begin. First, you'll draw simple shapes such as circles and ovals. Then, you'll fill in the details.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Hatchimal
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you sketch the Hatchimal's head.
2. Draw a curved line across the bottom of the circle, extending beyond the shape on both sides. This outlines the top of the Hatchimal's egg.
3. Draw a wide "U" shaped line connecting the ends of the line drawn in the previous step. This encloses the bottom half of the eggshell.
4. Draw a narrow horizontal oval beside the eggshell. This will become the opening of the top of the egg that has fallen to the side.
5. Draw a wide "U" shaped line connecting the ends of the oval drawn in the previous step. This completes the outline of the top of the Hatchimal's egg.
6. Draw a series of jagged lines that meet at sharp points all along the outside of the oval, some above and some below its lines. This outlines the broken eggshell at the edges.
7. Erase the guide lines of the narrow oval, leaving the clean outline of the broken Hatchimal egg.
8. Draw two layers of jagged lines along the top of the larger piece of Hatchimal egg. This outlines the broken eggshells along the opening.
9. Erase the guide line from this portion of the Hatchimal egg.
10. Begin to detail the Hatchimal's face. Use a series of connected curved lines to enclose a furry heart shape within the original circle.
11. Use a curved line to enclose an irregular shape within the Hatchimal's face. This will become its mouth or beak.
12. Draw a curved line beneath the irregular shape, enclosing the bottom portion of the beak.
13. Draw two small ovals above the beak to outline the Hatchimal's eyes.
14. Draw a small circle within each eye. Notice how the circles are on the right side of each eye.
15. Shade large ovals within each eye, indicating the pupils.
16. Use a series of curved lines that meet at points to draw a tuft of fur or feathers on top of the Hatchimal's head.
17. Erase part of the circle beneath the tuft and replace it with a series of curved lines. This gives the head a more furry appearance. Then, contour the top of the head and around the eyes with curved lines.
18. Draw jagged, irregular shapes all over the ground. These are pieces of the eggshell.
19. Shade dots of different sizes all over the eggs and the broken pieces of shell.
20. Color your cartoon Hatchimal.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!