Learn how to draw a great looking Jaguar with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Jaguar.
The jaguar is a big cat native to Central and South America. It typically inhabits a tropical habitat, but sometimes this animal ranges as far north as the United States. An individual was known in Arizona from 2011 to 2016.
It is the third-largest cat in the world; only the lion and tiger are larger. Its name means "real beast of prey" in the Tupi language.
Jaguars are not to be confused with their similarly spotted cousins, the leopard and cheetah. These smaller cats are native to Africa, while the jaguar lives in the Americas.
Jaguars have long played a role in popular culture. They featured prominently in the mythologies and art of many peoples in the Americas.
A British luxury car brand uses the jaguar as its logo, and the cat is also the mascot of numerous sports teams. Jaguars also feature in children's stuffed animals and other merchandise.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a fearsome cartoon jaguar? This easy, step-by-step cartoon cat drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Jaguar
How to Draw a Great Looking Jaguar for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing guide lines, which will help you to give your jaguar accurate proportions. Draw a large horizontal oval for the body and a small circle for the head. Draw two circles overlapping the body, indicating the location of the shoulder and hip.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin to flesh out the head of your jaguar. Use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points to connect the head to the body, forming the furry neck. Use curved lines to outline the near ear, the top of the head, and the opposite ear. Detail the near ear with furry jagged lines. Enclose an irregular shape to form the nose, and use curved lines to outline the nose, the open mouth, the lower jaw, and the teeth.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a series of curved lines to draw the top of the neck, the back, and the rump. Notice the short, jagged lines that give a furry appearance when the line changes direction.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the foreleg. Beginning at the guide line circle, outline the leg with a series of lines, noting the furry appearance. Use overlapping curved lines to distinguish the toes and paw.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 5
5. Beginning at the remaining guide line circle, draw the rear leg. Again, use a series of curved lines to give the leg a furry appearance. Draw a jagged, furry line between the front and rear legs to indicate the belly. Finally, draw the far foreleg. Outline the leg using furry, jagged lines. Then, use overlapping curved lines to create the toes and paw.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the guide lines to leave a clean outline of the big cat. Then, draw the remaining rear leg. Use long, curved lines and furry, jagged lines to outline the leg. Connect the lines at the paw using overlapping curved lines.
Easy Jaguar Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the jaguar's tail. Use a long, curved line and double it back upon itself. Don't forget to add the furry texture in patches. Band the tip of the tail with a curved line.
Add More Details to Your Jaguar Picture - Step 8
8. Erase lines that overlap the tail. Then, draw the jaguar's eye and whiskers. Begin to enclose the irregular spots across the cat's face.
Complete the Outline of Your Jaguar Drawing - Step 9
9. Fill the jaguar's coat with spots and splotches known as rosettes.
Color Your Jaguar Drawing
Color your cartoon jaguar. Jaguars are typically orange, yellow, or tan with black or brown spots. Some are black with even darker spots. These cats are often called black panthers, but are scientifically classed as the melanistic jaguar color morph.
For more great Cat drawing tutorials, see the 25 Cat Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Jaguar Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).