Learn how to draw a great looking Mosquito with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mosquito.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Mosquitoes are insects. As such, they share characteristics with other bugs, like ladybugs, praying mantises,, grasshoppers, bees, and dragonflies. All of these creatures have six legs and thin, transparent wings. There eyes are compound, made up of many lenses. They also have no bones - instead, they have an exoskeleton, which is like a coat of armor on the outside of their bodies.
But the mosquito is most known for its bite. When a mosquito bites, she inserts two tubes in the skin. One injects an enzyme to reduce blood clotting and the other acts as a straw. Did you know? Only female mosquitoes bite; males lack the necessary mouthparts. Females use the protein from blood to produce the next generation. Males simply eat nectar from flowers.
There are about 3,500 species of mosquito in the world, and each individual lives from 2 weeks to 6 months. The whining hum characteristic of mosquitos is produced by 200 to 500 wingbeats per second.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Mosquitoes play a supporting role in many animated films, including A Bug's Life and Bee Movie. In fact, the 1912 short How a Mosquito Operates was one of the first animated films in history.
Would you like to draw a cartoon mosquito? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pen, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Ladybug, Praying Mantis, and Grasshopper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Mosquito
How to Draw a Great Looking Mosquito for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing to overlapping circles, one partially hidden by the other. These will form the mosquito's eyes.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a pair of straight lines, one from between the lines and one just below them. Allow the lines to meet at a sharp point. This is the mosquito's proboscis, which she uses to pierce the skin. Then, use curved lines to sketch the open mouth.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a pair of narrowly spaced curved lines across each eye, forming the eyelids and eyelashes. Draw a "U" shaped line beneath each of these to enclose the pupils. Extend two curved lines above the eyes, forming the antennae.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a large circle, partially hidden by the head, to form the mosquito's thorax or midsection. Then, extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to enclose the abdomen.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a pair of curved lines from a point in the center of the thorax. Allow them to meet at a gentle point, enclosing the wing. Then, extend two more lines, from the thorax and wing, and allow them to meet at a gentle point, enclosing a second wing.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend two pairs of straight lines, one from the thorax and one from below the face. These are the mosquito's legs. Draw the foot at the bottom using a curved line.
Easy Mosquito Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw pairs of curved lines on each appendage, each pair meeting at a sharp point. These are the sinister, pointed fingers of the mosquito's hands.
Add More Details to Your Mosquito Picture - Step 8
8. Draw another pair of straight lines from the thorax, forming the leg. Draw another set of lines at a perpendicular angle to the first, forming the knee and lower leg. Draw the foot using a curved line.
Complete the Outline of Your Mosquito Drawing - Step 9
9. Use pairs of straight lines to draw the remaining leg, erasing as necessary. Then, band the abdomen with curved lines.
Color Your Mosquito Drawing
Color your cartoon mosquito. These insects may be grey, brown, green, or iridescent blue in color. Some even have black and white stripes like a zebra! Their abdomens are often red after feeding.
For more great Bug drawing tutorials, see the 17 Simple Bug Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mosquito Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).