Learn how to draw a great looking Surprised Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Surprised Face.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to make a surprised face drawing? Surprise! This easy, step-by-step portrait drawing tutorial can show you how.
Surprise is an emotion described as a "startle response." It "represents the difference between expectations and reality."
In other words, we experience surprise when things don't follow the "rules" we expect day-to-day events to follow.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Surprise can be a positive or negative emotion. We might feel fearful surprise, for example, when we witness a jump scare. Or we may feel positively surprised when someone gives us an expensive gift, such as a diamond ring.
Other positive words for surprise include amazement, astonishment, awe, wonder, or dazzle. Negative surprise feelings may be called bewilderment, disappointment, shock, confusion, stunned, flabbergast, dumbfounded, rattle, bowl over, shake up, or stupefaction.
Surprise someone with your drawing skills when you learn how to sketch this wide-eyed, surprised cartoon character.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Joker, Scared Face, and LOL Surprise Doll.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Surprised Face
How to Draw a Great Looking Surprised Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the surprised face outline by drawing the large, shocked eyes. Use curved lines to enclose the gumdrop shapes of the eyes, then shade a large circle inside each.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, shade an eyebrow above each eye. Draw the nose, using curved lines to outline the bridge and nostrils. Contour below the eyes using short lines.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to trace the tip of the nose and the open mouth. Draw a line across the inside of the mouth to indicate the teeth.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a rounded “M” shaped line inside the mouth to indicate the tongue. Then, use long curved lines for the sides of the face and a short line for the chin.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the ears using “C” shaped lines. Use a pair of lines to form the neck.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Contour within the ears using curved “L” shaped lines. Then, use overlapping curved lines to begin sketching the hairline.
Easy Surprised Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw curved, horizontal lines to form the wrinkles on the forehead. Then, use curved lines to sketch the sideburns and the side of the head.
Add More Details to Your Surprised Face Picture - Step 8
8. Continue sketching the side of the head. Then, use a series of curved lines to draw the hair.
Complete the Outline of Your Surprised Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your surprised face outline by continuing the hair, completely enclosing the head. Contour the hair with a few short lines.
Color Your Surprised Face Drawing
Color your cartoon surprised face outline. Can you change the hair color or other features to make this drawing look like a favorite cartoon character or someone you know?
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Surprised Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).