Learn how to draw a great looking Ostrich with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Ostrich.
Would you like to learn how to draw an ostrich cartoon? This easy, step-by-step cartoon bird drawing tutorial can help you master the ostrich outline.
The ostrich is the largest bird in the world. Ostriches can weigh 300 pounds and grow to a height of 9 feet! Native to Africa, the ostrich doesn't fly - rather, they use their strong legs to run at speeds up to 45 miles per hour!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? This large bird lays very large eggs. Each egg can weigh about 3 pounds.
Amazingly, ostriches have been trained to wear saddles and carry people. Unlike horses, the birds tire quickly. In captivity, they can live as long as 50 years.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Ostrich
How to Draw a Great Looking Ostrich for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the ostrich outline by drawing the bird's head. Use curved lines to outline the beak, eye, brow, and chin.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw the ostrich's long neck. Extend long, curved lines from the top and bottom of the head. Draw two short lines at the top of the head to indicate stray feathers.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the frill of feathers at the ostrich's neck. Use a series of connected, curved lines. Then, begin drawing the wing in the same fashion.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a long, curved line to draw the bird's chest, belly, and tail. Note the wavy portions that indicate feathers.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 5
5. Use long "U" shaped lines to sketch the long tail feathers. Then, use a series of connected "U" shaped lines to draw the wing.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 6
6. Use long "U" shaped lines to draw the outer feathers of the wing. Erase as necessary.
Easy Ostrich Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the ostrich's leg, erasing as necessary. First, draw a wavy line where the leg connects to the body. Then, extend two long curved lines downward to form the thigh.
Add More Details to Your Ostrich Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a long curved line from one side of the leg and double it back on itself to meet the opposite side, enclosing the lower leg and one toe. Use curved lines to enclose the remaining toes and the large claw.
Complete the Outline of Your Ostrich Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your ostrich outline by drawing the remaining leg. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the leg and toes, noting the overlap of the foot and knee. Then, draw the sharp, triangular claws.
Color Your Ostrich Drawing
Color your cartoon ostrich. We've shaded our drawing in black and white. These are the showy colors of a male ostrich. Females have only brown feathers, affording camouflage among the grasses.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Ostrich Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).