Learn how to draw a great looking Gollum with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Gollum.
- Gollum, referring to the Ring
Gollum is a fictional character from The Lord of the Rings saga by J. R. R. Tolkien. He has been described as "a vaguely reptilian creature who is obsessed with the ring that is the focus of much of the action of the books."
Gollum was originally called Sméagol, and his later name was based on the sound of his "gurgling, choking cough."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
What is this strange creature? Originally a type of Hobbit known as a Stoor, "he had been deformed and twisted in both body and mind by the corruption of the Ring," and "his life was extended far beyond its natural limits by the effects of possessing it."
Indeed, he survived for over 400 years below the Misty Mountains!
Would you like to draw a cartoon portrait of Gollum? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial can show you how. You will need a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Gollum
How to Draw a Great Looking Gollum for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the glaring eyes. Use two curved lines to outline each eye. Then, shade a large circle in the center of each to form the pupils. Next, use curved lines to outline the nose, the side of the nostril, and the upper lip.
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 2
2. Outline the creature’s face. Use overlapping curved lines, noting the sharp contours of the cheekbones. Draw a curved line for the mouth. Outline small teeth using “U” shaped lines below the mouth. Contour below the mouth and eyes and beside the nose using short lines.
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to outline the ears and the top of the head, and the creases across the forehead and brow.
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to texture within the ear, to draw the stringy hair, and to sketch the shoulder and collar bone. Notice that all the hair originates from a circular “bald spot.”
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a long curved line to begin drawing the arm. Then, draw the fingers. Use curved lines doubled back upon themselves and overlapping curved lines to form the hand and fingers.
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the arm with a long curved line, noting the contours of the muscles. Then, use pairs of curved lines to draw the remaining upper and lower arm. Begin drawing fingers, extending curved lines, and doubling them back upon themselves.
Easy Gollum Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend two curved lines and connect them to outline the torso. Then, draw the loincloth using pairs of curved lines that meet at gentle points. Contour the muscles of the chest using curved lines. Complete the hand, using a curved line for each finger.
Add More Details to Your Gollum Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the leg. Use a pair of curved lines for the upper leg, and another for the lower leg. Use curved lines for the foot, and short overlapping lines to indicate the toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Gollum Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining leg. Use a pair of curved lines each for the upper leg, lower leg, and foot. Contour the knee using a short line, and overlapping curved lines for the toes.
Color Your Gollum Drawing
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Gollum Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).