Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
"You go some power in your corner now, some heavy ammunition in your camp. You go some punch, pizzazz, yahoo and how - see, all you gotta do is rub that lamp!" - "Friend Like Me," Disney's Aladdin
You can learn how to draw the genie lamp from Aladdin with the help of this easy cartoon drawing tutorial.
What exactly is this lamp? Though it looks like a teapot to modern eyes, this item is actually a type of oil lamp. Olive oil or other types of flammable oil would be placed inside, and a cloth wick like that of a candle would be placed in the spout.
The bottom of the wick would soak up oil, and the tip at the end of the spout would be lit. The lamp could then be carried like a flashlight!
The story of Aladdin dates back centuries. It is one of the most famous stories in The Thousand and One Nights or The Arabian Nights, a collection of stories from Asia and India. It was added to the collection during the 1700s.
After being tricked into entering a mysterious cave, Aladdin finds the magic lamp, which he can rub to summon powerful jinn or genies. He is transformed from a poor boy to a prince, and he tries to win the love of the beautiful princess Jasmine.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing the Genie Lamp from Aladdin
1. Begin by drawing a long curved line to outline the top of the lamp and its spout.
2. Continue the long curved line, doubling it back upon itself to outline the bottom of the lamp and the spout. It should be roughly shaped like a spoon.
3. Connect the lines at the end with a small diagonal oval, indicating the opening of the spout. Then, draw a curved line down the middle of the shape, distinguishing the top from the side of the lamp.
4. Draw the lamp's handle opposite the spout. Use a pair of curved lines to create a horseshoe shape. Connect the lines on the ends with irregular circular shapes. Notice how the handle overlaps the body of the lamp.
5. Draw the base of the lamp. First, enclose a half-circle shape using a curved line. Then, draw three small circles below the half-circle. Connect the circles with small lines.
6. Extend curved lines from two of the small circles, and connect them with a curved line. Then, draw another curved line around the base of this shape, connected on both sides.
7. Draw the lid of the lamp. First, use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw two bell shapes stacked on top of one another. At the top of the smaller bell, draw a small circle, then a diamond overlapping it. Erase as necessary.
8. Draw a wisp of smoke coming from the spout of the lamp. Use a pair of curved lines that meet at a sharp point.
9. Use curved lines to draw several four-pointed stars of different sizes around the smoke.
Color your cartoon genie lamp. Typically, lamps like this are shaded yellow to indicate a gold composition.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Complete The Genie Lamp from Aladdin Drawing Tutorial in One Image
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).