Learn how to draw a great looking Birthday Cake with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Birthday Cake.
Would you like to learn how to draw a birthday cake? You can use this food-themed drawing guide to make your own birthday card or party invitation.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Birthday cakes have been common in Europe and other countries since the 1800s. But the tradition dates back at least as far as ancient Rome times.
These cakes looked and tasted quite different - they "were flat circles made from flour and nuts... sweetened with honey."
Have you ever blown out the candles on a birthday cake and made a wish? This, too, has a long history, likely linked to the ancient Greeks' birthday celebrations for the goddess Artemis.
Are you hungry to improve your drawing skills? This easy, step-by-step cartoon birthday cake drawing tutorial will help you master the birthday cake outline in no time.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Birthday Cake
How to Draw a Great Looking Birthday Cake for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the birthday cake outline by drawing the icing at the base of the cake. Start with a series of connected curved lines. Then, draw another series above it. Connect them on the ends. Draw vertical lines to begin the sides of the cake.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 2
2. Ice the cartoon cake. Draw a curved line from one side of the cake to the other, outlining the round top and straight sides. On each end, double the line back upon itself to indicate the dripping icing. Then, use several curved lines to indicate the oval-shaped top of the cake.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw more dripping icing. Use a long curved line, doubling it back upon itself many times.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the second layer of the cake. Use curved lines to trace the bottom and sides. Then, begin sketching the fancy icing on top using a series of curved lines in a scalloped pattern.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the oval-shaped top of the cake using a series of small curved lines. Then, draw dollops of icing at the base of this layer. Use curved lines to outline the irregular shapes, erasing as necessary.
Then, draw a cherry on top of each bit of icing. For each cherry, draw a small circle and contour it with a short curved line. Draw a longer curved line for the stem.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 6
6. Contour the top of the second layer. On the front side, use a scalloped series of short curved lines. On the back, use a long curved line.
Easy Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw candles on top of the cake, erasing as necessary. For each candle, use a curved line to enclose a rounded rectangle shape. Draw a curved line for the wick at the top of each candle and a teardrop shape for the flame.
Add More Details to Your Birthday Cake Picture - Step 8
8. Stripe the candles with a curved line. Then write the word "Happy" at the top of your drawing.
Complete the Outline of Your Birthday Cake Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your birthday cake outline by writing the word "Birthday."
Color Your Birthday Cake Drawing
Color your cartoon of a birthday cake. We've shaded ours in bright, fun colors.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Birthday Cake Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).