Learn how to draw a great looking Labrador Retriever Head and Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Labrador Retriever Head and Face.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Do you love your Labrador dog? Show everyone how much you care with this heartwarming Labrador retriever head and face drawing.
Labrador retrievers, called labs for short, are very popular dogs. They make good family pets as they are generally active, friendly, affectionate, and outgoing. They are usually good with children and other dogs.
Labs are big dogs, weighing anywhere from 55 to 80 lbs. They typically live 11 to 13 years.
Labradors originated as a sporting breed, a "waterdog" that was a companion to fishermen and hunters. The name "retriever" comes from the fact that they were used to retrieve ducks shot during a hunt.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
If you liked this Labrador retriever head and face outline, immortalize your favorite pooch with this sitting Labrador cartoon.
You can increase your dog drawing skills even more by learning about perspective. The drawing below is done in 3/4 perspective - the head is turned so that it is neither in profile or portrait, but somewhere in between. This dog's head is in portrait perspective - check it out!
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Golden Retriever Face or Pitbull Face Drawing tutorials.
See also, Draw a Husky for Beginners.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Labrador Retriever Head and Face
How to Draw a Great Looking Labrador Retriever Head and Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Labrador retriever head and face outline by drawing its eye. Use two curved lines to craft the double-pointed shape. Then, shade a large circle within it to form the pupil. Draw a jagged curved line above the eye to indicate the brow.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the other eye, again using two curved lines. Notice that its shape appears squished because you are viewing it from a different angle. Use curved lines to contour the brows.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two lines to sketch the oval-shaped nose, noting that the lines do not meet. Then, use curved lines to draw the top of the snout and contour below the eye.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two spiral-shaped lines within the nose to indicate the nostrils. Then, draw an inverted "Y" shape below the nose to form the mouth. Notice that one arm of the "Y" is much longer than the others.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue to sketch the dog's head. Use overlapping and jagged lines to form the jawline, the lower lip, the side of the snout, and the side of the head.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long curved line to draw the top of the dog's head. Use another for the ear. Connect these long lines with a series of short, jagged lines that lend the appearance of fur.
Easy Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the ear, continuing the long line and doubling it back upon itself. Then draw the remaining ear. Notice the jagged, furry lines at the top of the ear.
Add More Details to Your Labrador Retriever Head and Face Picture - Step 8
8. Use a series of lines that meet at jagged points to draw the dog's neck and shoulder.
Complete the Outline of Your Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your Labrador retriever head and face outline by contouring and texturing the face and neck. Use curved lines that meet at jagged points. On each side of the muzzle, shade small ovals to indicate the dog's whiskers (yes, dogs have whiskers just like cats do).
Color Your Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing
Color your cartoon of a Labrador retriever’s head and face. We've colored ours brown like a chocolate lab. Other common colors for labs include black, yellow, silver, red, and white.
For more easy, cartoony drawing tutorials, see the collection of Learn How to Create Cute Cartoons with Step-by-Step Tutorials.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Learn How to Draw Dogs Step-by-Step with Easy Tutorials page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).