Learn how to draw a great looking Scary Scarecrow with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Scary Scarecrow.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a scary scarecrow? This one is sure to keep the birds away - and fainthearted people, too!
Scarecrows have been used in agriculture for centuries. Usually consisting of wooden beams and clothing stuffed with straw, scarecrows are made in the shape of people to help keep birds and animals out of gardens.
When the wind blows and makes the scarecrow move, crows, deer, and other animals think they are seeing a real, living human. This keeps them from eating the seeds or vegetables.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In popular culture, scarecrows that come to life have been used in horror films. Scarecrows with jack o'lantern heads like this one may be used as Halloween decorations.
Are you afraid? Don't be! This easy, step-by-step cartoon scary scarecrow drawing tutorial will help you master the scary scarecrow outline in no time.
Scarecrows don't have to be scary, though - check out this simple scarecrow and smiling cartoon scarecrow.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Barn, Farmer, and Farm.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Scary Scarecrow
How to Draw a Great Looking Scary Scarecrow for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the scary scarecrow outline by drawing a wavy curved line. This is the brim of the witch's hat. Below it, enclose a partial circle shape using a curved line. This will become the scarecrow's head.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 2
2. Complete the hat. Draw parallel curved lines, connected on each end, to form the hatband. Then, use overlapping curved lines to form the bent and pointed top of the hat. Contour the crown of the hat with a curved line.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the scarecrow's cartoon jack o'lantern face. Use straight lines to outline the mouth and triangular teeth.
Use small triangles to form the nose. Then, outline the semicircular eyes, noting the triangular "scar" over one eye. Draw a curved line across each eye to give it a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 4
4. Texture the ridges of the pumpkin using curved lines. Then draw the scarecrow's vest. Extend two sets of curved lines from the head, and allow each set to meet at a point.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the scarecrow's clothing. Use curved lines to sketch the overlapping parallelogram shapes of the garment.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the wooden poles behind the garment. Use two vertical and two horizontal lines that cross each other perpendicularly. Then, outline an "X" shape across them to indicate the string or cord that holds them together.
Continue the pole below the scarecrow using a set of vertical lines. Then, draw small circles along the front of the garment to indicate the buttons.
Easy Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the scarecrow's arm. Extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to form the sleeve. Enclose the cuff at the end of the sleeve using a wavy curved line. Texture both the cuff and the sleeve with curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Scary Scarecrow Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining sleeve. Again, extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to form the sleeve. Enclose the cuff at the end of the sleeve using a wavy curved line. Texture both the cuff and the sleeve with curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Scary Scarecrow Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your scary scarecrow outline by drawing straw erupting from the sleeves. Use straight lines that meet at sharp, jagged points.
Color Your Scary Scarecrow Drawing
Color your cartoon of a scary scarecrow. We've given ours an orange pumpkin head, yellow straw hands, beige clothing, and a purple hat and vest.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Scary Scarecrow Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).