Create a wonderful Sitting Cartoon Dog drawing with easy, step-by-step instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Would you like to learn how to draw a sitting cartoon dog? This easy, step-by-step guide to drawing the outline of a dog sitting will show you how
"Sit!" is one of the first commands new dog owners teach their pets. Dog training is very important to having a happy and healthy pet. Proper training prevents you and your puppy from becoming frustrated and strengthens your bond. It can also protect your dog if he readily obeys in potentially dangerous situations.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? When we train dogs, we're imitating the pack behaviors dogs inherited from their wolf ancestors. If you observe a mother dog with her puppies, for example, you may see her telling them "no" or teaching them to "stay" with nips, barks, and boy language.
What is your favorite kind of dog? The pup in our illustration resembles a Shiba Inu, a Chihuahua or perhaps a Pomeranian. Get creative with how you sketch and color him - the possibilities are endless!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Sitting Cartoon Dog
1. Draw an outline of the dog's face. Use a series of curved lines to sketch the head, noting the tufts of fur on the cheeks.
2. Use a long, curved line to outline the dog's collar. Then, begin sketching the dog's furry chest using a series of curved lines. At the bottom of the chest, draw a curved "V" to indicate the top of the legs.
3. Use a long curved line to draw the front of the dog's leg. At the bottom, allow this to overlap with another curved line. Double the line back upon itself to form the paw and back of the leg.
Detail the paw with short lines, and use a long line for the belly. Finish the ruff of fur on the chest using a series of curved lines.
4. Continue with the remaining front leg of the sitting cartoon dog outline. As with the first, use overlapping curved lines to draw the leg and paw. Detail the paw with short lines. Use additional lines to indicate the far rear leg.
5. Next, draw the seated haunches of the sitting cartoon dog outline. For the front of the leg, use a "C" shaped line. Overlap it with another line that doubles back to create both the paw and the dog's back. It should join the collar. Detail the paw with short lines.
6. Detail the sitting cartoon dog's face. Start with the eyes. Draw curved lines for the cheeks and eyebrows. Above the cheeks, enclose partial ovals. Within each oval, shade a smaller oval to indicate the pupil.
7. Enclose an irregular round shape, gently pointed on the bottom, to form the dog's nose pad. Then, use curved lines for the top and bottom of the snout. Draw short lines at the corner of the mouth and below it.
8. Draw the dog's ears. Use curved lines that meet at points to enclose the triangular ears. Notice the tufts of fur at the base of each ear. Detail the inside of the ear with long and short curved lines.
9. Draw the dog's tail. Use a long curved line for the top of the tail, and a series of curved lines for the bottom of it.
Color your sitting cartoon dog outline. Black, white, brown, spotted... dogs come in many colors and patterns. What will your faithful canine companion look like?
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).