Learn how to draw a great looking Dumbo with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dumbo.
"The very things that held you down are gonna carry you up and up and up."
- Timothy Q. Mouse, Disney's Dumbo
Young Dumbo is separated from his mother after she spanks a human boy for making fun of her son's ears.
He is used in the circus performances, often as the recipient of the clowns' pranks.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Dumbo's only friend is Timothy Mouse. After the pair inadvertently become intoxicated, they awaken in a tree.
Timothy assumes that Dumbo flew into the tree, using his ears as wings, but the young elephant can't be enticed to try it again until he is given a "magic feather."
While performing at the circus, Dumbo loses his feather and finally gains confidence in himself.
The animated film was the fourth produced by the Disney company, and their shortest feature film at just 64 minutes. In 2019, a live-action version of the film was released.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of Dumbo, the flying elephant? This easy, step-by-step Disney cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished character.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Dumbo
How to Draw a Great Looking Dumbo for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching Dumbo’s face. Use two curved lines, and allow them to overlap slightly. Notice the bulge of Dumbo’s cheeks.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw Dumbo’s trunk, erasing as necessary. Extend two long curved lines from the bottom of the face. Allow one line to wrap around and overlap the other. Draw curved lines across the tops of the long lines where the trunk meets the face, and across the middle of the trunk.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Dumbo’s eyes. For each eye, draw a curved line and enclose a partial oval on top of it. Then, enclose two successively smaller circles within each eye. Shade the smaller to indicate the pupil. Draw curved lines at the sides of the eyes to indicate eyelashes, and above for the eyebrows.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw Dumbo’s hat, erasing as necessary. Draw a curved line across the top of the head, with short straight lines ascending from each side of it. Draw a curved line above it, and connect the two using overlapping curved lines. Then, use overlapping curved lines to enclose the bent triangular shape of the top of the hat.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw Dumbo’s collar or frill. Draw two curved lines between the cheek and the trunk on each side.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the body and legs. Extend curved lines down from the collar. Use three curved lines to outline the feet, with semicircular toenails. Draw a curved line on each side of the trunk to indicate the bottom of the body.
Easy Dumbo Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Dumbo’s seated rear leg. Use overlapping curved lines, noting the spiral or “C” shaped line that outlines the bottom of the foot. Enclose semicircles to indicate the toenails.
Add More Details to Your Dumbo Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to sketch the remaining rear leg, a mirror image of the first.
Complete the Outline of Your Dumbo Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw Dumbo’s trademark ears. Draw a long curved line from just below the hat to the side of the foot. Contour the ears with a curved line near the top.
Color Your Dumbo Drawing
Color your cartoon of Dumbo. He has grey skin, pink ears, blue eyes, a yellow hat, and yellow and red collar.
For more great Cute cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Cute cartoons Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dumbo Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).