Learn how to draw a great looking Rottweiler with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Rottweiler.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Do you love dogs? You can add this tough but cute Rottweiler drawing to your pack.
Rottweilers are working dogs, descendants of dogs left behind by Roman conquerors around the second century C.E.
They are named for the town of Rottweil, Germany. They are sometimes called Rotties for short.
For hundreds of years, Rottweilers "accompanied local butchers on buying expeditions, carrying money in a neck pouch." Today, they work as farm dogs, guard dogs, rescue dogs, and police dogs.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Along with the Rottweiler, a number of other dog breeds (47, to be exact) originated in Germany, including the German shepherd, schnauzer, dachshund, German spitz, Leonberger, German shorthaired pointer, Doberman, Weimaraner, Pomeranian, Great Dane, poodle, and boxer.
Interestingly, German shepherds, dachshunds, Dobermans, and rottweilers all share a characteristic black and brown coloration.
If you like this cartoon Rottweiler outline, try drawing other German dogs, too!
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Husky Face or Labrador Retriever Head and Face Drawing tutorials.
See also, Guide to Drawing a Husky.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rottweiler
How to Draw a Great Looking Rottweiler for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Rottweiler outline by sketching the dog's face. Use curved lines to outline the brows, nose, snout, and tongue. For each eye, draw a circle within a circle under the brows. Shade between the two circles. Texture the skin around the nose and mouth with short lines.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 2
2. Enclose the head of your cartoon Rottweiler using a series of overlapping curved lines. Notice the overlap at the sides of the mouth and below it. Draw "U" shaped lines below the mouth to indicate the sagging, drooping jowls.
Detail the face with curved lines around the mouth and eyes. Draw a circle above each eye to form the brown markings.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to draw the ears, top, and side of the head. The lines of the ears should meet at points and those of the neck should overlap, indicating folds of skin. Use short curved lines to texture the fur of the ears.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 4
4. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the opposite side of the neck and shoulder. Then, texture and contour the neck with closely spaced, short curved lines.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the dog's long leg. use curved lines for both sides of the leg. At the bottom, use overlapping curved lines to form the toes. Shade a narrow oval at the tip of each toe to indicate the dog's claws or toenails.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining foreleg. Again, use long curved lines for the sides of the leg and overlapping lines for the toes. Shade a toenail on the tip of each. Connect the tops of the legs with a wavy line, forming the chest. Contour the chest with curved lines.
Easy Rottweiler Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the rear leg. Again, use long curved lines for the sides of the leg and overlapping lines for the toes. Shade a toenail on the tip of each. Use overlapping lines to draw the stomach between the front and rear legs. Contour the tops of the legs with a series of short lines.
Add More Details to Your Rottweiler Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to enclose the shape of the remaining leg behind the foreleg. Draw overlapping curved lines to form the shoulder, back, and hip. Enclose a rounded square to indicate the short tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Rottweiler Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your Rottweiler outline by adding further detail to his coat. Use short lines to contour the markings on the chest, belly, and legs.
Color Your Rottweiler Drawing
Color your cartoon Rottweiler. Rottweilers are mostly black with brown markings on their eyes, mouths, chest, belly, and legs.
For more easy, cartoony drawing tutorials, see the collection of Creative Ideas for Adorable Cartoons Drawing Projects.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Drawing Tutorials to Help You Draw Dogs Step-by-Step page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rottweiler Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).