Learn how to draw a great looking Family Tree with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Family Tree.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
A family tree, also called a pedigree chart, is a visual representation of family relationships. These charts are often depicted in the shape of a literal tree.
The oldest generations are located at the top. Branches come from both parents to connect to their children below them.
The youngest generation, around which the chart is centered, can be located on the trunk. Creating your own family tree is just like finishing a puzzle.
Family trees are part of the study of genealogy - of family origins and their history. Genealogies have long been kept, for instance, to trace the royal line of descent of kings and queens.
Today, many people enjoy studying their family history as a hobby. They view it as a way to reconnect with their past.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of your family tree? Family trees make a great at-home learning or school project. This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished family tree.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Don't have any photos handy? You can learn to draw cartoon caricatures of your family members. Learn to draw a woman's face, a man's face, a boy's face, and a girl's face.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Mother Hugging a Daughter, Hug, and Peter Griffin from Family Guy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Family Tree
How to Draw a Great Looking Family Tree for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the roots of the tree. Draw two curved lines, and connect them at the bottom using a series of curved lines.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin drawing the trunk of the tree. Use overlapping curved lines to form the tree knot. Contour the base of the roots and the trunk with curved lines.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 3
3. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the remaining side of the trunk and the base of its tree branch. Then, draw the bottom of the tree's leafy crown. Use a series of connected curved lines to draw the cloudlike shape.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue drawing the leafy crown of the tree. Use a series of connected "U" shaped lines to outline the large, round, cloudlike shape.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the outline of the tree's crown. Use a series of connected curved lines. Then, draw a banner beneath the tree. Use four lines to outline a narrow horizontal rectangle.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw several ovals near the top of the tree. These are where you'll put the drawings or photos of the members of your family. Complete the ribbon ends of the banner. Draw a pennant-shape on each end. First, draw a square that is open on one side. Then, enclose the remaining side with an inward-facing "V" shaped line.
Easy Family Tree Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw more ovals on the tree to accommodate more family members. Then, write the words "Family Tree" on the banner.
Tip: This family tree is designed to show you, your parents, and your grandparents. You can customize your family tree with the number of ovals to match how many family members you have. Also, you can customize the banner with your family's last name.
Add More Details to Your Family Tree Picture - Step 8
8. Write the word "Grandfather" under the first and third ovals, and the word "Grandmother under the second and fourth ovals.
Tip: Rather than using the generic terms "Grandmother" and "Grandfather," include your grandparent's names.
Complete the Outline of Your Family Tree Drawing - Step 9
9. Write the words "Mother" and "Father" under the ovals of the second row, and "Me" under the remaining oval.
Tip: Customize your family tree with your own and your parents' names.
Color Your Family Tree Drawing
Color your family tree. What season is it? You can color a green tree in spring and summer, or a brightly colored red, yellow, or orange tree in the fall.
For more great Tree drawing tutorials, see the 21 Simple Tree Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Family Tree Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).