A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Anime Food with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
Whether they're saving the world, battling adversaries (see this anime fight pose drawing), playing sports (draw this running girl), or doing homework (see the easy anime school uniform drawing), anime and manga characters get hungry. Sate their appetites when you learn how to draw anime food.
Below, you will find an easy, step-by-step guide to drawing a bento box - a hot or cold Japanese boxed lunch that is often carried to work, school, or enjoyed while traveling.
What, though, if your character is not craving rice and finger foods? Later, we'll discuss drawing food items from American, Italian, and Mexican cuisines.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing Anime Food
The bento box is a classic staple of both real-world Japanese cuisine. Learn to draw it in manga-style with the following easy steps.
Anime Food drawing - Step 1
1. First, draw the box itself. Start with a rectangle with rounded corners. Then, draw a curved line around the outside of the rectangle, connecting two opposite corners. This outlines the three-dimensional bento container.
Anime Food drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the compartments of the container's top. Draw lines parallel to the outer edges. Draw an "L" shaped line - and another line parallel to it - across the center of the bento box.
Anime Food drawing - Step 3
3. Use a series of short curved lines to outline the rectangular serving of rice in the box's smaller compartment. Texture the rice with small ovals and partial ovals - each a grain of rice.
Anime Food drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two tasty tempura shrimp. Use jagged lines to outline the crispy breaded portion of each shrimp. Draw a half-circle on the end of each, and texture the breading by drawing small triangles.
Anime Food drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the shrimp's tails. Use curved lines to sketch overlapping rounded triangles. Then, draw a boiled egg, sliced in half. For each slice, draw a partial oval with a partial circle inside it.
Anime Food drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two sushi rolls. First, outline the rounded rectangular shape of the rolls. Then, detail them with wavy lines in a roughly spiral pattern.
Anime Food drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a broccoli floret. Use a series of short lines to outline and detail the broccoli's leafy top. Then, use curved and "V" shaped lines to complete the tree-like stem.
Anime Food drawing - Step 8
8. Draw a few cherry tomatoes to finish filling the box. For each tomato, enclose a partial circle. Then use curved lines to draw a five-pointed star shape on top. Draw a tiny circle in the middle of the star. This represents the calyx, modified leaves left over from the tomato's flower.
Anime Food drawing - Step 9
9. Color your tasty meal.
How to Draw Other Types of Food
If the healthy bento box described above just isn't hitting the spot, you can try out one of the fun dishes or treats below. They will be great additions to your anime drawings.
Rice and Chopsticks
Rice is a common component of Japanese cuisine. In Japan, chopsticks are still commonly used. Learn to draw rice and chopsticks.
Some animes personify foods and make them characters. This taco has a funny face to do just that. If you want a more realistic food item, follow the tutorial but omit the smiling face. Learn to draw a funny taco.
When your anime character has been hard at work, nothing is more refreshing than an icy glass of lemonade. Learn to draw a glass of lemonade.
There's nothing more romantic than sharing a milkshake on a date! As with the taco above, you can leave off the friendly face if you want a more realistic appearance. Learn to draw a milkshake.
It has been said that there is nothing more American than baseball and apple pie. As it turns out, anime characters like those things, too! Learn to draw an apple pie.
Treat your character to an ice cream cone on a hot day. This treat is beloved by adult and juvenile characters alike. Learn to draw a cone of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Donuts can serve as a treat at the office or a quick breakfast on the do. Learn to draw a donut.
Glass of Wine
Adult animes often include the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Let your character unwind with this glass of red wine.
What to draw next?
This lesson has spread out a buffet of different types of anime food. But, wait - is your character still hungry? All the food in the world won't do any good if they don't take the time to eat it!
Some characters are known for shoveling food into their mouths. Others take a more measured approach. Whatever your style, you can practice drawing this anime girl eating. Or give a bowl of food to the cute anime wolf, anime old man, or your adult woman drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).