Learn how to draw a great looking Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
― The Mad Hatter, Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass
Would you like to learn how to draw the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland? This easy drawing tutorial depiction resembles the one from the 1951 animated film, but it can also be used in illustrations of the original children's book or the live-action film starring Johnny Depp.
Who is the Mad Hatter? Like the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter is an eccentric resident of Wonderland.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
He is a friend of the March Hare and he often celebrates "unbirthdays" with tea parties. Alice, the story's title character, is a guest at one of these events.
Did you know? The idea of the Mad Hatter was based upon historical events.
Hatters - people who made hats - were exposed to chemicals like mercury, which affects the brain and nervous system.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland, and Cartoon Princess.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
How to Draw a Great Looking Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the Mad Hatter's face. Use curved lines to trace the large nose and smiling mouth. Connect them with curved lines, outlining the upper lip. Draw two ovals above the nose to form the eyes. Shade a small circle within each eye to indicate the pupils. Draw a thick curved line above each eye to form the eyebrows.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 2
2. Use "U" shaped lines to draw the open mouth, teeth, and tongue. Draw a straight line down the center of the teeth. Then, use overlapping curved lines to draw the sides of the face, the ear and its contours, and the hair above the ear.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 3
3. Complete the tuft of hair with curved lines that meet in jagged points. Use curved lines to outline the brim of the hat, and another to contour it. Then, enclose the rectangular shape of the hat's price tag.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines that meet at jagged points to draw the tuft of hair on the opposite side of the head. Then, outline the crown of the hat using curved lines. Illustrate the hat band with another curved line. On the price tag, write the numbers "10/6."
What do these numbers mean? Originally, they represented the cost of a hat in England - 10 shillings and 6 pence. Today, 10/6, or October 6, is the date chosen to celebrate Mad Hatter Day.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to outline the upturned collar. Then, use curved lines to draw the bowtie, the shoulders, and the first sleeve.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to draw the rectangular sleeve cuff. Draw a "C" shaped line for the opening, then use overlapping lines to trace the hand and fingers. Draw the front of the jacket using curved lines.
Easy Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue to use curved lines to outline the remaining sleeve, the sleeve cuff, front of the jacket, and shirt beneath the jacket. Notice the "V" shaped notches in the lapel on the front of the coat.
Add More Details to Your Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Picture - Step 8
8. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the remaining hand and the teacup with hot tea spilling from it.
Complete the Outline of Your Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing - Step 9
9. Use pairs of curved lines to draw the legs of the pants, and connect them with curved lines at the bottom. Then, use pairs of lines to outline the skinny ankles. Finally, outline the irregular shapes of the Mad Hatter's shoes.
Color Your Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing
Color your cartoon of the Mad Hatter. His top hat is usually green in color.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).